Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

Intermittent Stalling on 2005 Lancer ES - any suggestions?

Old 04-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Default Intermittent Stalling on 2005 Lancer ES - any suggestions?

So my 2005 Lancer ES with 112k miles that I've had for about 5 years has some kind of issue. About a month ago, shortly after I got an oil change and replaced the air filter it started stalling out intermittently while idling in traffic. It doesn't throw any codes, so I had the spark plugs, plug wires, and fuel filter changed (I also put a tank of 93 octane in, in case it was a bad gas issue). Unfortunately, it's still doing its stalling thing. The problem is most pronounced after a highway stint with a steep off ramp - then, even with decent forward momentum but little or no gas pressure it will stutter and want to stall (but generally keeps running). The car is not throwing any codes (mechanic checked it, and then my buddy used his code reader too) and the check enginge light doesn't come on - but the check engine light isn't broken, because it does light up when all the lights up if the car is on but the engine isn't. I got some fuel additive in case it is, in fact, a fuel issue - but I've gone through several tanks of gas in the last month. Going to put it in once the tank is mostly empty. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'm running out of ideas and patience!

Old 10-14-2012, 11:38 AM

think i'm having some of the same issues. i don't see any reply to your post, just wondering if you found anything out?

Old 10-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Default Reply to 93colt

Hey,

Wish I could be of some assistance. I travel a lot for work, so I couldn't justify trying a ton of stuff to figure it out. It hadn't stranded me and didn't seem to be getting worse, but it was annoying enough that I had to give up. I traded the car in.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:13 AM

Hey, I got the same issue just last weekend. I did some research that it could be Butterfly Valve or Idle Air Control valve or Mass Air Flow Sensor or Oxygen Sensors. I am getting those except Oxygen sensors to try.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:48 PM

It turned out that the spark plug seals were broken resulting in leaking oil into spark plug well. Misfire on cylinder 4 occurred. Replaced valve cover gasket, cleaned up spark plug. Got the car back to normal condition.