Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

Lancer Ignition / Ignition Switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:07 AM
Default Lancer Ignition / Ignition Switch problem

Hi all!!!

I have a problem with my lancer. When I turn the key to start the car everything lights up all ok. When I turn it to the 'crank' position nothing happens?

This is something to do with the ignition switch as if I turn the key with some force it will start first time no problems.

The trouble is the more I use the car the harder it seems I have to turn the key.

Is this to do with the electrical switch and not the barrel?

Any advice on how to fix much appreciated, I like getting my hands dirty so will have it in bits at the weekend if theres any pointers

Old 02-06-2012, 08:30 AM

FIX:

I have diagnosed this with a spare hour, the issue is the ignition switch located opposite end of the key barrel.

Here is the part from a website:
More Information for AIRTEX / WELLS 1S6083

This looks like a dealer only part, anyone work for Mitsubishi and can advise on a estimate of the price?

Old 02-12-2012, 11:13 PM

2008 MITSUBISHI LANCER Ignition Starter Switch

Apparantly, Rock Auto has it available for $48.88. They don't seem to stock it and takes a 2 day delay shipping. Matches the part number you shown. And seems like it is not a dealer only part.

I'm willing to bet this will be inside the steering wheel column. Take off some of it and see if it is there. It could be loose? Might as well change it if you get a chance. It is extrememly annoying and can leave you stranded one day.

Our Dodge MiniVan had a similar problem and would be next to impossible to start sometimes.