Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

Lancer REVing Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:59 PM
Default Lancer REVing Problem

well i got my car for only about 3-4 weeks now (08 lancer) and today i experienced something very weird. when i was on my driveway with a uphill slope, i put my gear into neutruel. and i dont know why, but my rpm hit 2000 and it remained there. i prressed my brake, clutch and nothing helped it. then i gassed up. and my rpm went to 3000 then back to 2000 when i let go of the pedal.

i changed my gear to 1st. and it SLOWLY droped back to 1000. anyone have his prob?

another thing is that when i was braking to a stop sign on 2nd gear, i let go of the gas and the same thing happened. my car was trying to drive forward with the rpm at 2000 and my speedo at 40km/hour. very weird. my gear change from 1st to 2nd is very rough too.. and everything started just today.

i went to the dealership and spoke to the sales rep, the manager, and the mechanic. apparently this is a known problem from mitsu and there isn't anything they can do about it yet. i just want to know if anyone here has experienced the same problem

Old 02-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Default RE: Lancer REVing Problem

Was your feet on the clutch when you shift to neutral? if yes?

of course your rpm will stay 2000 rpm. if you let go the clutch and just step on the brake it will go down to 0000 rpm

The Mivec enginetake hundreds of asecond to Rev down or Rev up.

But if you are aClutch driver?
Meaning you never let go of the cluth always stepping on it
then I won't be able to help you.
just change your style ofdriving.

good luck

Old 02-22-2008, 09:33 AM

I don't have any problems with my Lancer 08 by the way.
Facts about the Mivec 2008 or 4B11.

1.It has a permanent knocking sound just like other Mitsu engine which is a normal sound for their engine.

2. 4B11 performs better when the engine oil is warmer. so warm up your car in cold weather.

3.if you drive a manual you notice that the engine feels weak when you are accelerating but it is really not weak. just step on the gas especially on 3rd and 4th gear and rpm should not be more than 4000 rpm. I always put it on 4th gear on 65 mph. never go beyond 4500 rpm on Mivec 4B11especially if it is stock engine it will damage something.

4. shift slowly and break slowly. Noticed it is hard to read the 4B11 engine strength especially changing gear because when you change gear the rpm still on 4000 to 2000 it takes sometime to reach 0000 rpm.

if the gear want to stay on 3rd gear let it stay on 3rd gear. rarely used 2nd gear only on stop and go traffic.

etc etc etc

You REALLY have to Study your 2008 Lancer because it so complicated driving because of Newer 4b11 engine andcvt transmission.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:41 AM

ORIGINAL: BEAT
never go beyond 4500 rpm on Mivec 4B11especially if it is stock engine it will damage something.
Can you give some more info/sources on this? What would get damaged by running past 4500, and how?? And if thats the case, why put the redline past 6k?

Old 02-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Banned

What I am guessing, is either an idle air control motor malfunction, or perhaps the throttle body is a little stiff. Either way this should be a rather easy fix for any mitsu tech. Take it in!

Old 02-22-2008, 12:48 PM

I wont dare drive it back to the dealer.... remember the car is Made in Japan.
One touch by anAmerican technician the car will neverbe the same again.
The Dealer already told him it's an issue with 08 Lancer but he should try
doing my technic by not riding the clutch while on neutral.

I had my car fix by Mitsu Tech and replace my steering wheel column. The Tech broke my steering wheel cover and force the column out just to change the freakin cover under the steering wheel.

Sebba do you drive a Lancer 2008? just wondering... because the 4B11 is totally different engine.

I drove a 1999 Mitsu mirage 2 door coupe and the engine is quite different from the 4B11 less noise but still have that knocking sound

4000 to 4500 is normal driving condition. if you go beyond 4500 you WILL smell Oil burning in your CAR. don't believe me try it.

Damages

Extreme oil pressure
Extreme water temperature on the Radiator
Piston Knocking.
Valve extreme wear and might need adjustment
Spark plug extreme burn

Red Line means danger read the owner's manual they will explain it to you better. Why not to rev it on red line.

Try doing what Sebba said go beyond 4500 rpm and try 6000 rpm on 3rd and 4 gear. Without the Car radio on just listen to the engine sound and tell me if it sound good or bad.

My techninc in driving a Manual is I never check the RPM. I feel the car if it can handle the gear if not I change it right away. it is hard to explain it on writing but try feeling the engine and gear at the same time. train yourself by not looking at the RPM use your instinct. The louder the engine it means change the Gear.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:56 PM

start the engine in the morning and after the car is warm enough the RPM
should be around 1000 on the needle but if the RPM Goes up and down between 1000 and 2000 or 3000 then you need to adjust idle control need adjustment.
Always heat your car to avoid premature wear 5 minutes is all you need. 15 mins is for extreme cold weather condition
remember your Engine Oil setttles on the bottom of the oil pan if the car is not in use for more than 8 hrs. thats why you need to heat up your car and oil
Just DON'T START AND DRIVE RIGHT AWAY. that is a BIG NO NO because your engine will never last.
Believe me I have been driving since I was 7 yrs old.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Banned

Dude, seriously, you are giving horrible advice. Yes, I know what the 4B11 is, I'm not stupid.

After thinking about it, I think its ECU induced.

What you should do, is put the key in the ignition, turn it to the 'acc' position, and remove the negative battery terminal for about 30 seconds. Then reattach it, and start the car.

Another way to trouble shoot, is when its doing this, is take off the intake pipe, and see if the throttle body butterfly valve is stuck a little.

Its either ECU induced, or the throttle body is sticking. Either way its an easy fix.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:52 AM

Thanks for all the replies. i got the mechanic to drive the car with me. and no the rpm run was not because of me holding the clutch. when my mechanic drove it, the car was slipping at 4000 rpm and knocking. at 4500 i can smell oil burning. but the techy told me that mitsu's were designed to go red line.

in my experience driving this car, the first 2 gears really cant take that much stress. i drive 3rd gear to 60-65 only. because i can hear that my car doesn't like it higher than that. when i idle my car, and walk outside to the hood. the car does sound very weak. my car has been worked in to 11000 kilometers now. and now i can hear my engine becoming a lot louder.

i read how this car was loud. but before i hit 11000km it was really quiet and i dind't know what people were complaining about. but now i hear the stress. but like the techy said its "normal".. oh well i guess i have to wait till my oil change for more updates on the car