Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

No Power To Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Default No Power To Fuel Pump

2004 Lancer OZ 2.0l 5 speed. The car died, no fuel. I have checked the 15 amp fuse under the hood -it's good. The 7.5 amp fuse under the dash is also good. I tested both the #1 and #2 fuel pump relays under dash-they are good. The pump runs fine with 12v applied to it. The issue is this: When testing the relay sockets under the dash for voltage, I have 12v into #1 relay with key on- it completes the circuit and sends 12v to #2 relay. However I can not get the second relay to close as I do not have ground at the other side of the coil on the #2 relay. According to the diagram, ground comes from a transistor (violet wire) in the ECM for the second relay. My question is do I have a bad transistor in the ECM or does some other sensor or system need to send a signal to the ECM to allow the ground to be sent back to the #2 fuel pump relay? What else should I check?

Attached Thumbnails No Power To Fuel Pump-mfi5.jpg  
Old 12-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Unhappy So Sad.... That's a bummer

Originally Posted by Gerty
2004 Lancer OZ 2.0l 5 speed. The car died, no fuel. I have checked the 15 amp fuse under the hood -it's good. The 7.5 amp fuse under the dash is also good. I tested both the #1 and #2 fuel pump relays under dash-they are good. The pump runs fine with 12v applied to it. The issue is this: When testing the relay sockets under the dash for voltage, I have 12v into #1 relay with key on- it completes the circuit and sends 12v to #2 relay. However I can not get the second relay to close as I do not have ground at the other side of the coil on the #2 relay. According to the diagram, ground comes from a transistor (violet wire) in the ECM for the second relay. My question is do I have a bad transistor in the ECM or does some other sensor or system need to send a signal to the ECM to allow the ground to be sent back to the #2 fuel pump relay? What else should I check?
Yep!...The diagram is a little small, but I set my page to 200% and it helped a lot..
Looks as you said...something is holding out from another component? not allowing the 12vdc ground (-) to make circuit to the Fuel Pump Relay #2.

Hmmmm! Did you perhaps whack it with a hammer? No No No ...I'm only kidding. .... What about tracing the Violet wire back to the component that is holding out from supplying the negative to the relay?....
Are there any fault codes??? That may be a clue to what is going on??
nice if mbishi gave a sequence of operation. Has to be a safety issue that is violated! I don't know right now! still thinking...

Old 12-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Exclamation Update!

Well I did ground the violet wire and with the key on the pump runs. However the car will not start. I don't know if this indicates a bad ECM or if some other sensor has failed and this is not allowing the ECM to send that ground to the fuel pump relay or to start. Any thoughts? I will try to get a scan tool and pull codes to see if that helps.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Gerty
Well I did ground the violet wire and with the key on the pump runs. However the car will not start. I don't know if this indicates a bad ECM or if some other sensor has failed and this is not allowing the ECM to send that ground to the fuel pump relay or to start. Any thoughts? I will try to get a scan tool and pull codes to see if that helps.
I would first, be sure that the ecm is powered with 12vdc on pin connector 12 to Battery + ....and 24 to Battery +
Once that is determined then I would take it a step (s) further.
One thing.... I would do a battery disconnect and reconnect again so the ecm will re-boot the program. It's worth a shot, and that's easy.