Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

Power steering not working with replacement pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 09:41 PM
Default Power steering not working with replacement pump

I had a front end accident with my 2005 Lancer ES and replaced most of the front end (bumper parts, radiator, tranny cooler, fans, radiator support, lights, etc). My old power steering pump worked fine, but in the accident it got pushed back slightly which sheared off one of the mounting bolts and put a nasty cut in the pulley, so I bought a used pump with pulley for $25 cheaper than the price of a new pulley. Also if I remember (this was almost 2 years ago when I had the accident) the pulley required a special tool and some work to remove. I installed it today there's no power steering. The pump sounds ok but I didn't prime it or anything and the fluid level is full. The steering works fine but of course it's stiff with no assist, and I don't see any leaking. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot a pump, but is it safe to assume that's probably the issue since it worked before the accident? I would think if something else was damaged from the accident and the pump was working, there would be a different feel to the steering like rough spots or noise while turning, but it would still be easier to steer than with a completely non-functional pump.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:30 AM
Alv

Bleed the pump... prime it