Mitsubishi Mirage This sport compact offers economy without compromising comfort.

2000 Mirage front end shaking/vibration-owner shaking head

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 10:04 AM
Cool 2000 Mirage front end shaking/vibration-owner shaking head

Hi all, I'm hoping for suggestions. I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.8. I feel a shaking in the front end-mainly under the gas pedal and in the floorboard. At speeds at 55 and over, the shaking is also felt in the steering wheel. At idle, when put in reverse, you can see the edge of the hood vibrating (just beyond the wiper blades)...you can also feel the vibration when idling in drive. I don't notice shaking at lower speeds.

Here's what I've done so far...checked all rims and replaced one that was out of round, replaced two new front tires, had tires balanced off the car several times, balanced on the car last time, front end alignment, replaced all three motor mounts and the transmission mount, replaced outer tie rod ends, and sway bar end links. I have replaced front brake pads and had the rotors turned, I've also done a complete brake job on the back brakes (two new wheel cylinders, shoes, new brake drums, and a new brake line). I do have a busted boot on the steering rack which I haven't dealt with yet. The shaking is still there!! It is driving me crazy!

Can the busted boot on the rack cause this type of shaking? I've had mechanics tell me the inner tie rods and front end looks pretty good-but obviously something is causing this! Can anyone please give me a place to start from what I've already done? This thing is costing me a fortune and all I wanted to do was have something for my daughter to drive. Help me, please!