Mitsubishi Mirage This sport compact offers economy without compromising comfort.

Mirage buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Default Mirage buying advice

Hello all! New member here. New (soon-to-be) Mitsubishi owner, as well!

That's why I'm here, actually. I did own a 95 Nissan Altima that I'd done a good bit of work on (SR20DET, full exhaust, brakes, etc.). But it had other pre-existing issues that just drove me to get rid of the thing. Plus, I've always had a soft spot of Mitsubishis. My brother once had an old Colt. Loved it.

Anyway, I've come down to a dilemma. I've found a few Mirages here and there in my local area for sale. I'm about to come into some money, but I'm pretty limited as to how much I want to spend; I'm in school right now, and about to move into a new place. So money is tight.

It's down between a 1994 Mirage DE, and a 2001 Mirage. Of course, the '01 has a few less miles, but not a whole lot. I admit to ignorance here, I don't know much about these cars yet. I am doing a little research when I have time, but I figured I'd come to a place like this for some first-hand advice.

Both cars are automatics. Eh. But it'll do. Overall, is one generation better than the other, as far as reliability? What sort of issues or things should I be aware of, or look out for in one of these cars? I've heard they are quite hearty, and will go forever.

Eventually, I want to do a full EVO swap (whether that's an EVO I-III or IV-VI swap, depends on which one of these I buy now). But for now, it's going to serve me as a practical, economical daily driver. For my wife, too.

Any words?