Mitsubishi Mirage This sport compact offers economy without compromising comfort.

Won't start when raining/stalls when gas is pressed after cold start

Old 08-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Default Won't start when raining/stalls when gas is pressed after cold start

I have a '95 Mirage LS that has a very hard time starting when its raining or has rained within a few days. Usually I can eventually get it started but it can take up to 10 minutes of cranking it.

It also, sputters and dies when I give it an average amount of gas after a cold start. I have to barely press the gas pedal and eventually over rev it to about 3k to pull out in 1st gear without it dying but after the temp gets up to a normal driving level it is ok.

I have replaced the spark plugs, the wires, the distributor cap, and the rotor button and non of it helped the issues. Any suggestion?

Old 08-30-2013, 02:45 PM
Old 08-30-2013, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Akzle
you're welcome. my sarcasm is freely available and widely distributed. that was more like condescension, though.

and i do feel like a big man.

mainly because, i am a big man.

from your description, electrics - spray them all with crc66.
also. check and advance your timing. (you'd be surprised how many problems this solves)
and clutch, adjust it properly.
LOL! Thanks! I adjusted the idle and checked the timing today. It didn't fix the problem but at least the idle is now setting right. I also let run for 30 mins, pulled the battery for a minute and then let it run for another 30 mins. That seemed to help a little but the car was still mostly warmed up when I tried it out last and I'm waiting for it finish cooling. I am taking in to a shop next week and I'll post exacly what they do to it when I get it back. Oh! And I also cleaned out the EGR valve, lines and "orifi". I will try to get to the clutch this weekend if I can.

And thanks again for the help. I honestly do appreciate it. LOL!

Old 08-30-2013, 06:12 PM

try a complete ecu reset, battery off overnight.

Id actually TAKE it for a run, rather than letting it idle. Youre more likely to notice changes.

Good luck. Be interesting what the mechanic finds.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Akzle
try a complete ecu reset, battery off overnight.

Id actually TAKE it for a run, rather than letting it idle. Youre more likely to notice changes.

Good luck. Be interesting what the mechanic finds.
I reset the ecu last night and took it for a spin today. No change. As long as I over rev its drivable. but if I'm driving at low rpms and I hit the gas it starts bucking really bad...so, I just go from 4th to 3rd gear and it runs smooth.

I will def let you know what my mechanic says. I should be able to get it in to him by thursday or Friday.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:42 PM

im having a similar issue with 4g15 ive cleaned complete egr system and intake manifold, replaced intake manifold gasket, ran seafoam through gas, intake and vac lines. ive changed the plugs, wires, cap, button, battery terminals, and battery. ive scanned it daily and the only code I got was with the ses light off. the code was p0170 fuel trim bank 1. called the local dealership and they said its running lean most likely due to a bad maf (mass air flow) sensor, seeing that the car doesn't have a maf sensor ive moved toward other possible options such as tps sensor or air temp sensor. this issue has me scratching my head. so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:24 AM

Clogged or failing injectors.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by mysticrythms
but if I'm driving at low rpms and I hit the gas it starts bucking really bad...
define 'low' rpm and 'hit' the gas. If youre under 2k and floor it, anything less than 95 octane will probably detonate.
This is starting to sound like a clutch issue.
Its one of the more fun jobs. Clutch plate, pressure plate, throwout brg and pilot bearing (usually not specified in manuals)

Old 03-18-2014, 02:22 PM

or low compression. You might need new headgasket. In which case driving it is bad.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:14 PM

in my case the clutch was just replaced along with the bearing and preasure plate. compression tested good on all 4 cylinders. map sensor iac valve tps fp regulator and injectors all tested good with multimeter. upon manually cleaning each injector with them off the car then re installing them. the issue seemed to be resolved. a few days later I have a ses light. scanned and found a cylinder 1 misfire. is it safe to assume I may need to re clean my number 1 injector? also if the injector was good according to the multimeter should I be worried about a failed injector?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Won't start when raining/stalls when gas is pressed after cold start