Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

01 Limited 3rd row speaker problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Default 01 Limited 3rd row speaker problem

Hi ya'll! I kinda have a problem. The 3rd row speaker is blown.. least I think it is. After a bad rain weeks ago all the speakers stopped working and then as the day went on they all started to get static and then they came back fine. Except that back one.Sometimes when I start the suv, I get a little static from that one then it goes away but comes back later. It's very off and on. I unplugged all the other speakers from the amp and got in the back to listen and it kept doing the static thing but made a dull buzzing kind of noise when it wasen't doing the static. I've read that it's a bear to replace the speaker there and since the man of the house is deployed I'm not going to try..lol. Is there any way to just disconnect that speaker?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 06-06-2010, 10:47 PM

The 3rd row speaker is just the stock "subwoofer"

Maybe its blown? You cannot easily replace that because it is a size that is not common when buying aftermarket.

And unless you find one cheap used, buying it new if it is still available is not worth it. I measured it and it is more of an 8" small sub.

But any aftermarket sub will not be getting the full potential because the amp power is so weak and the frequency it sends to it.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:04 AM

Thank you for replying! It's definately blown..lol. No real desire to replace it either since it's just a sub. Is there anyway to disconnect it without pulling the cargo area apart?

Old 06-10-2010, 12:16 AM

There are only 2 ways I know to disable it,

but it requires tearing up that rear area. And it is VERY TEDIOUS to remove all the panels.

If you are going to do this, you might as well continue to upgrade it.

You will have to unplug it from the speaker itself, or a less clean way and cutting the wires to it from the amp, but you will need to know which wires.

As you can see the most for sure reversible method is just unplugging the speaker, but you will have to remove/strip that rear area. Again very tedious.