Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

'01 montero limited making LOUD clicking/knocking

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 05:00 PM
Default '01 montero limited making LOUD clicking/knocking

I was just gifted this montero and I am attempting to fix it to use as a family vehicle. The noise changes with the Rpms however is most noticeable in idle.
I was hoping someone out there has had this problem before and can tell me what it is so I can start to get my head wrapped around this thing. My gut is telling me timing belt but I've heard rocker arm from a mechanic and another mechanic at Mitsubishi told me that I needed a new motor... I refused to buy that load of b.s. And now I'm here.

Thanks

Old 07-16-2016, 06:43 PM

Check your timing belt tensioner.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:44 AM
Default Noise

Originally Posted by Blanevspredator
I was just gifted this montero and I am attempting to fix it to use as a family vehicle. The noise changes with the Rpms however is most noticeable in idle.
I was hoping someone out there has had this problem before and can tell me what it is so I can start to get my head wrapped around this thing. My gut is telling me timing belt but I've heard rocker arm from a mechanic and another mechanic at Mitsubishi told me that I needed a new motor... I refused to buy that load of b.s. And now I'm here.

Mitsubishi montero 2001 engine noise - YouTube

Thanks
did you ever find the cause of the noise I have the same much appreciated

Old 02-16-2017, 02:55 PM

I'm not a Mitsubishi Tech or anything. But I've owned a 2000 Montero Sport for 15 years now .it has 203k. It's been doing the loud clicking thing for about 6 months now. Luckily I have a friend that is a a Subaru mechanic working in the same shop as Mitsubishi. I was fortunate enough to get a hold of the mechanics shop manual and it explains the noise as being faulty lash adjusters on the valves, to which my mechanic friend agrees. I've never taken any of my vehicles to a shop to be worked on so I'll be taking her apart again .I'll know for sure if that is the problem in couple of weeks. As you may or may not know the intake plenum and intake manifold have to be removed so while they're off it's wise to put new spark plugs and timing belt or else they'll be coming off again soon. I'll let you know whether I was right or wrong. By the way a can of STP works for a day if you want to enjoy quiet for one day.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:32 AM

Valve lash adjuster noise is very different from the noise in this video. Have you tried to do a valve lash adjuster bleeding procedure to see if you can eliminate the VLA noise? Its worth trying prior to tearing into the engine.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:56 PM

^^^ +1

Make sure you have fresh clean oil in the engine and then follow this:
Mitsubishi Tech - Minute Mod: The 5 Minute Lifter Noise Fix

Don't chase after other causes until ruling this out!

Ron

Old 03-04-2017, 11:46 PM
Default timing tensioner

Originally Posted by HunterD
Check your timing belt tensioner.
I had to replace the belt, tensioner and components when I got my 03 tero. Looked like the belt and pump had been replaced but not the tensioner. Id recommend you look up the dayco set that includes the seals on rockauto. The dayco set is what AutoZone carries, but the one I got online was 50 bucks cheaper and included the front end seals, and a sticker to put on the frame for the date and mileage you changed it