Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

'01 Montero Major Oil Leak / Engine Problem? Please help!!!!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Default '01 Montero Major Oil Leak / Engine Problem? Please help!!!!

Hello all,

I have a 2001 Mitsu Montero XLS. I needed to get a smog test but the service engine light was on so I had it checked, and it pulled codes P0125 P0135 and several others. Indicating that the O2 sensors & catalytic convertor were bad. So I went to a reputable Smog Service Center and they determined that the car is leaking oil internally and externally (valve stems, value covers, etc). I know that these engines leak, but the mechanic said he pulled the spark plug and there was oil on the plug which was how he knew there was an internal leak. My car uses A LOT of oil, like a quart per week sometimes! He said the damage to the converter and senors was a result of the oil leaks and engine burning oil.

I asked if I could get the O2 sensors and catalytic convertor fixed in order to pass the smog test and they said that even if they replace them, the car is leaking oil so bad that its coming from the exhaust and could damage the senors and convertor almost instantly, resulting in a failed smog test.

I am just looking for some advice on how to proceed here. This all looks like it’s going to cost A LOT of money. And I want to make the best decision possible.

Thank you and please help!

Old 12-01-2011, 01:51 PM

sounds like bad valve stem seals you can change them on the car i rent the tool to do the job if you need it

Old 12-01-2011, 02:53 PM

Thanks!

Unfortunately I am not a mechanic and don't have the ability to do this job. How much would you say it would usually cost to repair the valve stem seals?

Old 12-02-2011, 03:32 PM

So I talked to the mechanic and he said that the cost to repair would be about $1500 for the value job (including gaskets, etc).

And that the cost for the car to pass emission would be another $2000 (I need O2 senors, two catalytic convertors, and I have an exhaust leak).

This is A LOT of money spend. But I need to get my car registered, and I live in LA where a car is basically required.

Does anyone have any advice or a second opinion about this?

Please help!!! Thanks!

Old 12-03-2011, 12:11 PM

Buy another car. Lot of money for a repair like that. Monty's are good vehicules but that's not worth it. That is almost the cost of your montero. I don't want to know how much would be the othe job ( not the value one).

Old 12-16-2011, 08:39 AM

Red may have a point, surf around for a local Ltd and see what prices pop, potentially your XLS could be a donor if necessary.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:09 AM

Find another mechanic. You probably don't need a "valve job". You need new stem seals, which can be done on the car. Oxygen sensors can be done yourself. I would leave the converters in and drive it for awhile after the other repairs are made to see if the converters are really bad. That part of the problem may clear up on its own.

If you want to make a trek to Orange County, I have a great independent mechanic there who has never done me wrong. Not cheap, but much more reasonable than dealerships, and very honest. It's called Rallysport Engineering, the owner is Paul Ludgate. At the very least, he'll tell you what you really need and what you don't need.

Costa Mesa, CA Mitsubishi auto repair and car service Rally Sport Eng. Costa Mesa, CA 92627

Old 03-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Default Update on 2001 Montero

Hey guys!

Thanks for all the help. Its been over a year and I have been driving my car anyways. It runs fine. I also educated myself and something I am seeing:

1. The car bellows smoke when warm only on acceleration. The smoke is white and sweet - like coolant.

This is usually a sign of a blown head gasket, but my car doesn't overheat and doesn't consume excess water or coolant. A/C works fine and the engine sound wonderful.

2. I was told that coolant mixing in the exhaust can cause the SMOG problems I have.

Is there a possibility that coolant is getting into the exhaust from somewhere else?

Oil is fine, no coolant in there. The oil does NOT have a burn smell. It does have a leak but its mostly around the valve covers which is normal.

I have a feeling that coolant is getting into the exhaust somewhere does anyone have any experience with this? THANKS!

This is a 2001 XLS with 180k miles on it.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:54 PM

head or intake gasket

Old 03-06-2013, 05:01 PM

Thanks! Is there a way to tell if that is what it is without spending any money?

I am BROKE but I know enough about cars to probably figure this out on my own.

The white smoke has been happening for about 2.5 years now! But the car still rides like a dream? Except the white smoke fried my SMOG system so I can't get SMOGGED.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '01 Montero Major Oil Leak / Engine Problem? Please help!!!!