Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

'01 Sport 3.0L - power improvement help please

Old 09-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Default '01 Sport 3.0L - power improvement help please

We've had our Mitzi for about 6 months and love her, but she SUCKS at climbing the pass fully loaded, especially if we get cut off by another driver.

What do you guys suggest? The hubbs and I have contemplated chipping, cold air intake (altho it seems K&N doesn't make one) and/or exhaust. We're looking for a cost effective way to increase horsepower.

For those of you who've chipped, did it change your shift points too?

Thanks

Old 09-22-2010, 03:34 AM

are you talking about a USDM montero?

we have **** for aftermarket.

The montero sport has an aftermarket short ram intake from Injen. I believe its discontinued, not sure.

It's a simple design anyone can make a custom one. I did on my 02 Montero (not sport) 3.5L.

As far as power gains, who knows, maybe just a placebo. The throttle response was improved, nice cool intake sound. Even felt better throttle response after I changed rear muffler to a magnaflow.

As far as chipping, which chip do you speak of? All the ones out there are hoax last everyone checked.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:36 AM

I've seen the Jet online a few times, but haven't researched reviews yet

Thanks for the help

Old 09-23-2010, 09:24 PM

I have a '02 Montero (not sport), but these rigs are designed for low end torque not top end power.
I dropped in a K&N, it helped a tiny bit. The main reason I went with this was for cleaning purposes. When in really dusty conditions over long periods of time it's nice to be able to clean the filter, not to mention the $ you save on new OEM paper filters, if you follow the severe conditions schedule in the FSM.
Have you taken your Monty off-road? This is where it will really shine.
I have yet to hear of someone getting "a lot" more power out of these rigs without doing an engine swap.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:28 PM

We'll probably get a K&N when the filter needs changed again. We prefer the re-usable route anyways. We haven't taken her off road yet, but we may head to the ORV park before the weather changes

What engine do you have in your '02? The 3.5?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:48 PM

The NM comes with the 3.5L, V6-3500.
How many miles on your rig?
If you have not already done so, I would recommend changing your fluids, unless you bought it with service records and know the history. Especially if you plan on driving it hard off pavement (diffs, transfer case/gear box, and tranny)...
Another thing that may help is changing the spark plugs and wires if, once again, you don't know the service history. Bad plugs and/or wires can really make your rig bog...

Old 09-23-2010, 09:53 PM

137k. When we bought we did everything to get it to our liking

We don't plan to drive it hard off road...we've got 2 small kids so our "free time" is very limited these days.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:59 PM

Sounds like your Monty has a lot of life left if you keep up on the service.
When you had it serviced did you DIY or take it some where. The only reason I ask is so that you know what kind of fluids they poured into your housings...for the tranny it especially makes a difference.

We got our Monty because we have two kids.
Now we all go back-country camping together as often as possible!
Great 4x4 fun for the whole family!

Old 09-24-2010, 01:27 AM

I have a custom short ram intake I made. for my 02 Montero 3.5L USDM (NOT SPORT)

its not ghetto, it looks legit. It's gloss black piping, blue couplers, and an AEM dry filter. The piping steel i believe, powder coated. it has the tube for that hose.

like I said it made throttle response nice, as far as power who knows. I did run into the newer MONTERO (NOT SPORT) with the new 3.8L. We went at it at a light. We both punched it and he did not pass me up. I believe I was slowly creeping further. So who knows, was it the intake? bad driver? etc. I have a full stereo system and amps with a 12" and box, all my seats in. I did not use the manual shifting either.

Oh I also replaced the muffler in the back, dont think that does much other than noise and better throttle response as well.

take it for what it is.

oh and the intake I put in, yes the low end I noticed did decrease, but mid-range and top end did improve.