Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

02 Full size Monty Ltd tune up.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:49 PM
Default 02 Full size Monty Ltd tune up.

I've gone 100K on original plugs and wires. Truck still runs great, but I think that may end shortly. Bought plugs and wires. I know upper intake needs to be removed, so here's my questions. Can it be removed without taking too much stuff off of it? I'd like to leave undisturbed as many bolts/screws as I can. Does it need to come completely off, or can it be moved enough to get plugs out? And finally, does the upper to lower intake gasket need to be changed? BTW, timing belt was done at 75K miles. Truck has always been meticulously maintained. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:24 AM

I did mine at 130. You can't really do it without disconnecting it all. Be careful with the hoses in the back, they are not as obvious to re-connect. The bolts (6 or 8, don't remember) have 4 different lengths, so be sure to remember where they go back.

The gasket on mine was in excellent shape and probably didn't need replacing, but since I bought it already I replaced it.

There's a lot of pieces, but mine all went back together fine except for forgetting a back hose.

Hopefully you got the best plugs you can find. The plug change do a lot for my performance and idle and gas mileage, immediately noticeable for mine.

Good luck.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. I bought Bosch Iridium plugs as they are doing a nice rebate at this time. ($2 per plug) I did buy new wires also. I did notice on the gasket that it had about 5 bolt holes. I'm giving it about 2 days to do job, as I want to take my time. Thanks for the info on bolt sizes. I usually put them in containers to separate them. BTW, did you clean upper intake out? I plan to spray with TB cleaner to get that crisp throttle response like when new. Thanks again.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:39 PM

Finally did tune up. Was much easier than expected. Completely took upper off, replaced metal gasket between the two. The small vacuum hoses in the rear were a little troublesome as I too, forgot one and got a code. As soon as I sorted it out, code went away. Was for EGR valve. Cleaned out upper and lower and have great throttle response now. BTW, job took me 5 hrs to do, with a few breaks in between. Thanks for the help.