Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

02 montero limited No 4WD at all

Old 03-08-2015, 11:03 AM
Default 02 montero limited No 4WD at all

New to the montero family , just bought a butifual 02 montero with a few small problumes im hoping some one can help me with. First thing is that unlike the other threads about the 4wd the indicator lights on my dash do nothing at all, only the back passanger weel is green at all times and when shifting in to 4wd nothing happens at all! and that brings me to my second problume wich is that when about 40 mph there is a sudden shimmy that seems to be coming from the back passanger weel(but im no macanic so it could be from somewhere else) if i go threw 40 to 50 it dont do it ,just when holding speed at 40-45 about , any one have any advise or ideas?

Old 03-08-2015, 10:54 PM

As far as lights on the lights on 4wd indicator, it sounds like you have burnt out bulbs. Probably more than one (left rear wheel, front wheels and possibly center diff too). Without relying on the indicator, put the shifter in 4HLC position. Drive forward for a little and then try to turn. If the vehicle "hops" and outside wheels spin through - than you 4wd is working, just an indicator is malfunctioning.
As for the shimmy you are getting, it is most likely due to unbalanced tires and its just worst at 40-45. Get your wheels re-balanced and you should be good there

Old 03-09-2015, 10:33 PM

got the 4wd figured out it was a broken ground wire on the transfer case, but as for the shimmy it is still there and is not a tire, it is a sudden vary loud vibration that only lasts for 10 sec or so unless i decelerate or accelerate. have has the tire shimmy in my old Tahoe this is much worse

Old 03-10-2015, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by marc
got the 4wd figured out it was a broken ground wire on the transfer case, but as for the shimmy it is still there and is not a tire, it is a sudden vary loud vibration that only lasts for 10 sec or so unless i decelerate or accelerate. have has the tire shimmy in my old Tahoe this is much worse
Glad to see you got the 4wd fixed. I know which ground your talking about and its not a great design by mitsu. Its right there for something to catch right on it and just snag it right off the t.case. did fixing the ground bring your 2h/4wd lights back on your dash. If not its more than likely just the bulbs and a 30 minute/2screw to get the cluster out fix.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:45 AM

had similar shuddering issue on monty 2002...The vibration stopped after a Transmission flush...