Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

02 montero ls broke timing belt please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 09:18 PM

SO i was trying to compression test it tonight and they kept reading 0. Only one of them read and it only went to 23 psi.
Not sure why the all would read 0 and only one would read only 27.
i pulled all plugs and wires and am attempting to do the test while engine is still apart as in the pictures. Can it be done then or does it have to be put back together.
When I try and turn it over it makes a noise like a starter trying to work.
Its sort of a whine cranking noise.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:01 AM

0 is really bad... even 27 is really bad.. I think even 100 is bad...

I'm no mechanic but I don't think the covers should affect compression, as long as the tested cyl is a completely sealed chamber.

I would think with it being that low in all cyls you probably have a very serious problem.

Here is a video of no compression:

Old 11-14-2015, 01:28 PM

yes that is the sound its making .

Old 11-14-2015, 08:06 PM

Yes, you should be able to do compression test with valve covers off. In fact it will help you to see if everything is turning properly. Have a helper turn the keys for you, while you are under the hood with the gauge. I'm a little confused by your statement "When I try and turn it over it makes a noise like a starter trying to work.
Its sort of a whine cranking noise." Make sure you have a helper as described. What if your problem is the starter not working and thus the engine is not even turning at all?

Old 11-14-2015, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD
Yes, you should be able to do compression test with valve covers off. In fact it will help you to see if everything is turning properly. Have a helper turn the keys for you, while you are under the hood with the gauge. I'm a little confused by your statement "When I try and turn it over it makes a noise like a starter trying to work.
Its sort of a whine cranking noise." Make sure you have a helper as described. What if your problem is the starter not working and thus the engine is not even turning at all?
It turns over you can see the heads moving with the covers off but it gets no compression and sounds like the video above. I got 27 compression from one cyl but all of others read zero. Someone recommended putting plugs back in and just take one out at a time. I bought a Bosch compression kit because non of mi kits had to long enough tool to fit down into the plug hole. I get it down in there and hand tighten it then try and start it it sounds exactly like video above.

Sort of confused here I thought no broken timing belt meant no damage?? If it's toast I will have to look for a junk yard motor.

I really hope that's not the case.
Can a 3.8 be put in instead of getting another 3.5?

Thank you guys for all the info thus far.

Jp

Old 11-14-2015, 08:40 PM

Wow - puzzling. Check to make sure your cylinders do go up and down - get a long drinking straw, put it into the spark plug hole and turn the crankshaft by hand (with a big long breaker bar). Watch the straw moving. It It should go up and down once for each full rotation. For the life of me i can't figure out why you would have such a bad compression on all cylinders. It is so unlikely to have a head gasket blown on both banks on every cylinder.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:18 PM

Wow - puzzling. Check to make sure your cylinders do go up and down - get a long drinking straw, put it into the spark plug hole and turn the crankshaft by hand (with a big long breaker bar). Watch the straw moving. It It should go up and down once for each full rotation. For the life of me i can't figure out why you would have such a bad compression on all cylinders. It is so unlikely to have a head gasket blown on both banks on every cylinder.

I will try the straw trick tommorow I didn't think of trying that.
I'm totally baffled by this problem. I am a novice technician and only have 1 year under my belt.

I really don't think the engine was that damaged to the point of
No compression in any except really low on that one especially since the belt did not break or hop.

I hope I can find the fix to this issue because it's driving me crazy! I really don't have a ton of cash your a new engine in.

I knew it was to good of a deal to be true when I bought it.
But it was in my price range and looked very nice. And had no issue while test driving.

Jp

Old 11-15-2015, 12:14 AM

Don't worry about replacement engine just yet. It is totally buffling as to what could possibly going on. I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it. Do you have access to a small bore scope camera? It would be helpful to look inside the cylinders.
BTW, you were asking about running compression with spark plugs installed. I don't think it is necessary. In fact, having all spark plugs out will make the engine spin easier. Results should be the same.
One more question for you - Did you do a "wet" compression test? That is when you add a teaspoon of motor oil to the cylinder and then run a compression test.
One more thought, and please don't take this the wrong way, but is it possible that the compression tester did not seat properly on the spark plug hole? Could it have a wrong thread size?

Old 11-15-2015, 12:24 AM

Don't worry about replacement engine just yet. It is totally buffling as to what could possibly going on. I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it. Do you have access to a small bore scope camera? It would be helpful to look inside the cylinders.
BTW, you were asking about running compression with spark plugs installed. I don't think it is necessary. In fact, having all spark plugs out will make the engine spin easier. Results should be the same.
One more question for you - Did you do a "wet" compression test? That is when you add a teaspoon of motor oil to the cylinder and then run a compression test.
One more thought, and please don't take this the wrong way, but is it possible that the compression tester did not seat properly on the spark plug hole? Could it have a wrong thread size?
I did not do a wet one as I got the kit late last night and didn't have time to do a wet one.
I will have to try that tomorrow along with the straw trick.

I don't take offense at that at all since you are helping and not criticism. Will do double check and a wet one and get back to you guys. Fingers crossed that it just wasn't on there tight.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:34 AM

JP, I was doing some research on this no compression issue you are experiencing. Have one more question for you - is it possible that the engine got redlined? If that happened, there is a chance that you can get a valve float condition and pistons could make contact with valves and bend them even if timing belt is still OK and engine is in time. I guess you may have to pull the heads to examine the valves.

Quick Reply: 02 montero ls broke timing belt please help!!!