Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

06 Montero Problem - Starting the Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 05:07 PM
Default 06 Montero Problem - Starting the Engine

Hi guys,

First time posting here. Bought 2006 Montero a year ago; had no problems (knock-knock) but about a month ago the engine wouldn't start suddenly. I had to depress the acceleration pedal slightly to help it start and it worked. I replaced the battery when I bought the vehicle so it is relatively brand new. Everything went to normal after that but today I had the same problem. The engine wouldn't start from the first turn of a key, so I had to depress the acceleration pedal again to get it started. I also noticed that the engine start is not very consistent - sometimes it is quick and sound, sometimes it is kind of weaker, hesitating. I am waiting for the next oil change which is coming in a month or so to take it to the dealer and have it checked by the mechanic. If I call them now they would ask to bring in the vehicle which is not very convenient so I would rather avoid an extra trip if possible. If someone had similar experience and/or may have a suggestion about the cause of this problem, please share. My concern is whether it is a sign of something major or not (maybe it is something that relatively common with Montero?). I am driving two kids to/from school every day and don't want to get in trouble on the road. Also, it takes 4-8 weeks to bring parts to Canada so if I know what part is failing I could pre-order it now. Appreciate every advice.

Andy

Old 06-30-2013, 06:56 PM
Banned

Sounds like this is a vacuum issue.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sebba
Sounds like this is a vacuum issue.
Thanks for the pointer; I researched vacuum problems and it helped me understand the situation. In general, looks like there could be numerous reasons and without various tests it would be impossible to find what exactly is causing the problem in my vehicle. I am not into mechanical stuff and don't have proper tools, so I will book an appointment this week and have them check everything related to ignition - vacuum, starter, sparks, fuel pump, etc. The vehicle behaves normal while on the road, no strange sounds, no jumps in rpm's, the power seems adequate. So hopefully it is not an immediate problem.