Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

1989 Montero V3.0 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:50 PM
tdf
Question 1989 Montero V3.0 Issues

Thanks in advance for reading! (Long)

I have an 89 3.0 V6 Montero LS with automatic transmission. It has gotten some issues of late that I can't seem to get my arms around.

1) Diagonostic (trouble codes). I have searched without success for an OBD1 port on this vehicle. According to Chilton Manual I should find it under the fuse panel. NOT (unless I am looking for some other type of port (non OBD1) that I dont recognize as the diagnostic port, I don't see any port there I would guess to be diagnostics).

2) My check engine light stays on constantly and does not flash. Most OBD1 vehicles I have owned in the past and present have a flashing light when a code is present. What is the likely cause of a "constant light"? On a Mitsubishi, does a constant light indicate a stored code?

3) Starter Issue. I have installed 2 rebuilt starter solenoids and a rebuild starter with solenoid (that would be 3 solenoids) total. I'm still getting an intermitent failure of the starter drive gear to engage the fly wheel. It just 'clicks'. If I turn the key enough times (i.e. click it several times) it will eventually catch. What could this be other than the solenoid? My battery was replaced this Spring and shows 12 plus volts when engine is off. There is no indication that I have insufficient voltage to the starter. I have not attempted to meassure cranking amps under load, as I'm not familiar with that test, but should I check that? Would a weak battery (interms of cranking amps) cause this issue.? I can have Schuck's Auto check this for me if needed.

4) Cold Start Issue. When I first crank it over in the morning (48 - 60 degrees ambient air temperature), if issue 3 is resolved and the engine cranks, it tries to start but sputters. The next try it runs a bit longer and then dies. After several progressively longer sputtering idle runs it will finally keep running and then smooth out. No problems the rest of the day with initial start once it cranks (ref. Issue 3).

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Tom

Last edited by tdf; 08-31-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:38 PM

Reading the codes would be a good place to start with your overall running problems.

Someone with and older truck will hopefully respond with the location of the OBDI connector but I believe you are correct - a constant-on CEL means there are error code(s) stored. As I recall on OBDI cars you install a jumper between two pins and then the light starts to blink giving you the error codes. This is not a Mitsu-only feature.

Ron

Old 08-31-2009, 02:24 PM
tdf

Thanks jmrdir. I would think it would be the same OBD1 port/connector I have seen and used on other cars. This is the first time I have had reason the read codes on this Montero. I know what the OBD1 port typically looks like. Where did they hide the port....LOL. Someone here will tell me I'm sure.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:59 PM

My '99's OBDII connector IS just below the fuse panel as you mentioned but I guess the older set up could be different. On my daughter's SAAB it's under the rear seat!?

Hopefully you'll get a speedy response from someone in the know.

Ron

Old 09-22-2009, 01:53 AM

Bump.

I have the exact same problem as stated in number 3. Even replaced the started 2 times as well, does the same thing.

I noticed that if/when it just clicks, I put it in neutral, and let the car roll a bit to turn the flywheel, and it will turn right over. So maybe the flywheel?

Old 09-23-2009, 05:59 PM

the car has a mitsu only diag. port located either above the glovebox or right by the ECM.

and dont use aftermarket starters. Theyre all junk. Use a mitsu one only. Make sure its not getting saturated with oil from a leak.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:32 AM

I have had the same problem on my 90 4dr 3.0. I think I have traced it to the shifter. Try to pull back on the shifter but leaving it in Park. Works for me.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:35 AM

The light might be a maint reminder light. Reset is inside of guage cluster. You have to take the cover off. The front portion of the cover snaps onn and there are 2 screws at the bottom and one at the back under the cover.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:51 PM
tdf

Thanks to everyone for commenting on my issues!

That will be real helpful. I have had to park the 89 for a bit while I work on rust repair around the windshield, but all these issues will come back to life once I start driving it again. I will be following up on those suggestions.

I have the maintenance records from the PO. I noticed that he had replaced the starter twice also during his ownership. Guess the comment about after market starters being junk should be taken seriously, although why is this unique to this truck. I have not had so many starters fail on other vehicles. The 3.0 SOHC engines have less than 9:1 compression, so over loading the starter wouldn't seem like an issue. Puzzled by that!

Old 01-30-2010, 08:52 AM
tdf
Default Shifter Issue is Different than my "Starter Click"

Originally Posted by kvnhrkns
I have had the same problem on my 90 4dr 3.0. I think I have traced it to the shifter. Try to pull back on the shifter but leaving it in Park. Works for me.
When the shifter is in park and you turn the key a hear nothing, yeah, my solution is the same. "Pull back on the Shifter" in park and she then cranks. This seems to be a problem with the electrical switch at the shifter not telling the ECM that you are indeed in park. But, that is different than the starter "click" I described in my post.

Quick Reply: 1989 Montero V3.0 Issues