Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

1990 Monty Sport : Which diagnostic link???

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Default 1990 Monty Sport : Which diagnostic link???

Greetings, I have a 1990 Mitsubishi Montero Sport 3.0. Automatic.

Issue: Check engine light illuminates periodically with the following symptoms.

Possible cause: Every so often, as I accelerate normally,
The motor acts as if it is not getting enough of something. It almost seems to bog down a bit. I can full throttle and get fine performance from kick-down effects but when returning to normal throttle, it seems to go boggy. Then it will almost fix itself and the normal throttle position of the pedal is again effective. The check engine light will almost always be lit soon before or soon after. I have even had backfire at the time of bogging down. But then of course I gun it and it soon gets over it one way or another. It even happens to be triggered when going uphill sometimes. I have tried fuel injector cleaners in the fuel, water remover chemicals and nothing works. I does need a tune up I'm guessing. I have a Chiltons manual but not sure if, since it doesn't say "sport" in the title, wether or not it covers my montero. I have been under both sides of the dashboard several times and can't seem to locate the ECM diagnostic link. Is it normally plugged into something? I think the montero had an auto start installed at one time and they might have disorganized some stuff. Can anyone take a well lit detailed photo of where their link is located that I might see mine in a new light? I appreciate any help on the matter.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:59 PM

the link is on the passenger side of inside of the vehicle on mine 1990 montero. Should just be there, maybe with a cover of some sort. ECM is a brass-colored rectangle and the hook-up is white on mine. You can hook up a volt meter to check diagnostics too instead of taking it in to be read.