Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

1993 Montero SR - Fuel Tank Vapor

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 01:38 PM
Default 1993 Montero SR - Fuel Tank Vapor

I'm in the process of re-installing my fuel tank (new pump and cleaned and painted tank).

I'm puzzled about the purpose of a part (small tank) and wonder if I really need to reinstall it.

The Chilton Manual refers to it as a vapor separator tank. Small cylindrical tank (about the size of a conventional coil) with 3 tubes coming out of 1 end. Mounted above the rear axle (passenger side). Flexible rubber tubing attached the part to hard line tubing on the top side of the fuel tank.

Do I need this part installed to run properly? My take is that it is for captuing fuel vapors during fill-up. My 89 Montero (same 3.0 SOHC engine) does not have this part.

If I need it, I 1st have to find one. This one is shot (corroded and broken through).

Tom

Old 08-19-2015, 02:54 PM

Usually these are carbon absorption canisters that capture the vapors from the gas as it evaporates (the Evaproative Recovery System) It then burns these fumes when the car is running. It's an environmental protection system mainly plus it probably helps gas mileage slightly since you are burning rather than venting to the atmosphere your fumes.

The car should run without it but you might get a check engine light and it might not be legal depending on your local emissions laws.

You can check junk yards for the parts...

Old 08-19-2015, 04:50 PM
Default Canister is Up Front

Thanks for the reply.

The carbon canister is in the front of the truck near the engine. I'm assuming a line may run from the canister to the fuel tank and it may run through this little separator tank along the way. I've seen a lot of evap systems, but never this setup