Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

1995 Montero LS 3.0 Tune-Up

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 01:44 PM
Angry 1995 Montero LS 3.0 Tune-Up

This is the first foreign vehicle I have ever owned. I am no mechanic, but I am fairly decent with mechanical skill.

That being said, there is no Hanes manual that I have been able to find, or any manual at all at local shops for the 1995 Mitsubishi Montero. It's very frustrating.

That, added to the fact that apparently you must take off the intake, changing the spark plugs and wires is not as simple a fix as I had hoped.

If anyone has completed this task, and could help walk me through it, I would be greatly appreciative. I already have plugs and wires, I'm just in the midst of trying to figure out how to install said parts.

This all started with the Montero having electrical issues. Power fluctuations mixed with the rare instance of just completely cutting off. I knew the battery terminals were not in the best shape, but the volt meter was reading normal. And, after tightening or adjusting the contacts, it was normal. Until a couple weeks ago, it did it again, but not before the voltmeter started drastically dropping. I was able to get it started, and changed the battery. That worked to get it a few miles home. Mind you, I knew this vehicle had been needing a tune-up, it seemed to be missing a cylinder. Now, the spark plugs are sparking, and after a "pop," that's when all power is lost.

So, back to replacing the plugs and wires. I don't have too much of idea of what else I may need. I read somewhere about an intake planeum gasket?

Either way, any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I hope I gave enough information.

1995 Mitsubishi Montero LS 3.0L 4WD

Old 12-06-2015, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by BigC
This is the first foreign vehicle I have ever owned. I am no mechanic, but I am fairly decent with mechanical skill.

That being said, there is no Hanes manual that I have been able to find, or any manual at all at local shops for the 1995 Mitsubishi Montero. It's very frustrating.

That, added to the fact that apparently you must take off the intake, changing the spark plugs and wires is not as simple a fix as I had hoped.

If anyone has completed this task, and could help walk me through it, I would be greatly appreciative. I already have plugs and wires, I'm just in the midst of trying to figure out how to install said parts.

This all started with the Montero having electrical issues. Power fluctuations mixed with the rare instance of just completely cutting off. I knew the battery terminals were not in the best shape, but the volt meter was reading normal. And, after tightening or adjusting the contacts, it was normal. Until a couple weeks ago, it did it again, but not before the voltmeter started drastically dropping. I was able to get it started, and changed the battery. That worked to get it a few miles home. Mind you, I knew this vehicle had been needing a tune-up, it seemed to be missing a cylinder. Now, the spark plugs are sparking, and after a "pop," that's when all power is lost.

So, back to replacing the plugs and wires. I don't have too much of idea of what else I may need. I read somewhere about an intake planeum gasket?

Either way, any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I hope I gave enough information.

1995 Mitsubishi Montero LS 3.0L 4WD
Well to start, you need a manual. You can find it here. Its free with an optional donation. There are 2 there montero engine and electrical. The model years are in brakets. http://www.mitsubishilinks.com

Old 12-06-2015, 07:57 PM

Go to Ebay, you will find one there instantly, as well.