Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

1999 monty, TPS , 4lo , infinity stereo , misc issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 12:59 PM
Default 1999 monty, TPS , 4lo , infinity stereo , misc issues

hello all, this forum has helped greatly repairing my $1500 1999 montero (not sport) with 120k miles. It has every option ever available on a 2nd gen montero. I recently sold my 86 swb monty mint condition because my wife couldn't drive it and my kids were traumatized when it slipped down an icy hill as I was out manually locking the hubs. I am a huge montero fan and am not looking for advice like 'get a 4runner'!!! I don't have an owner's manual and have zero info on the proper operation of this vehicle, specifically the 4x4 system. I've spent hours now searching this forum for specific answers to my questions, and haven't found all of them. So, I'm beginning a new thread and want to thank y'all in advance for all of the help.

I changed the bank 2 pre-cat 02 sensor and it passed smog. I've been driving it everyday and repairing it for about 4 months now. It's basically just a snow beater / mountain car. I have a 70mpg commuter. I want to get the monty highway and off-road ready.

I have slightly above average mechanical knowledge, aptitude, and experience. I do all of the work on my 2000 Insight with 230k. But, don't have a flat space large enough to safely jack up the Montero...So, I've been going to a mechanic who lets me stand right there helping / observing the entire time. Sorry, I have trust issues :-). First day I got it, I changed the oil, both diffs, and t case. Rear diff fluid was in decent shape. Front diff and t case were the grossest puke-ish looking fluids I've ever seen.

TPS throttle position sensor p0120 - anyone have a link to an under hood diagram? where exactly is the tps? photo? anyone have experience cleaning / repairing the existing tps vs. installing a new one? I get p0120 every 150 miles, car still runs ok, but mpg is miserable 13mpg

4lo doesn't engage - 4hi and 4hloc work great, the rear diff lock even works, but I can't shift into 4lo, the t case shifter **** is very 'wobbly' and loose, successfully engaging 4hi and 4loc don't follow the diagram on the shifter, but both both settings work , any advice?

infinity stereo
- previous owners installed their own wiring from the four standard door speakers to the center console, I'm about to install an aftermarket head unit and reluctantly just use those four speakers, anyone know of an adapter kit to bring all 8 speakers online? Or, anyone have the stock stereo they wanna sell / trade? I found an 02 montero sport at the junk yard with 8 speakers and an intact factory head unit, connections look the same, but the stereo is not " infinity ", anyone have experience putting a sport stereo in a reg monty?

front suspension issues - I took it to get an alignment, and the shop picked it up, shook the front tires fairly easily by hand, didn't remove front tires, and in less than five minutes of glancing at it said it needed 4 upper control arm bushings, 2 upper lower ball joints, and 2 lower ball joints, then quoted me $950!!! Sound about right? the driver front tire's outer third is completely bald, passenger front tire has no abnormal wear. I am so just trying to cheap this out, yet make it safe. Quite the paradox, I know....So, if it seems I have to replace basically the whole front suspension, is there an economical front suspension anyone would recommend that is more off road capable than the stock set up?

Again, I appreciate all of your help in advance. And, again, I don't have a way to safely jack up the SUV at home. I changed the o2 sensor as quick as I could parked and jacked out on the street.

Rear disc brakes... pads are shot, need to change them. Is it a double or single piston? Anything out of the ordinary? I've changed my front discs on my civics and corollas dozens of times. Rear monty discs basically the same?

valve cover gaskets , rear cam seals.... yep, I have the standard oil leak(s). Fairly easy? Doesn't require picking the SUV up, right? Can all be done with simply the hood up? I've seen lots of in depth tech threads with step by steps, but before I even contemplate taking on this job, it's gotta warm up weather-wise, and I wanna know if I'll be able to do it all with the SUV on the ground.

blinking front tire lights in 2wd....when its cold the lights are all dark, once warmed up the front wheel lights blink. is that normal? in 4wd they are solid. Again, with the exception of 4lo the 4x4 works great.

radiator is filled with rusty water....thank God no oily water! I haven't driven it in the summer yet. So far, no overheating... Is the in dash thermostat fairly accurate? Should I flush out the radiator and replace water with....? 60/40? stop leak? stop rust? In all my years I've never touched a radiator, thank God. Seems pretty easy. Any links to a good radiator service step by step for a 2nd gen Montero?

All of these problems are not making me hate the Montero. Even with the aforementioned issues, this SUV cruises past stranded and wrecked cars and trucks in the snow and ice. It goes down and up the offroad trails in 2 feet of snow no problem. The heated, leather seats are great. The huge sunroof is amazing. Seats 7 rather comfortably. Gas mileage will hopefully improve with TPS fixed. Again, thank you to everyone who will help out. I will update as I fix. Cheers!