Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport won't run and instrument indicator lights don't work

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Exclamation 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport won't run and instrument indicator lights don't work

My 2000 Montero Sport quit on my wife and won't start. The instrument cluster lights don't illuminate like they should now when the switch is turned to the run position now either, but the parking/day run lights still come on when in run position. It turns over fine but isn't getting fire from any of the coil packs and the tachometer don't jump when trying to start it either. It was running fine and just quit when she was on the interstate. She got it to start back up after about 10 mins or so, drove it another 2-3 miles before it quit again and hasn't cranked since. I had to go pull it home. Checked all the fuses and they are good. It was suggested that it may be the crank position sensor but I can't see that keeping the indicator lights from working when switch is in the on position. I called the closest dealership (two towns away) and the tech said he never heard of this particular problem and suggested the timing belt or crank position sensor. I checked the timing belt out and it still looks like a brand new one. I was thinking that it might be the ignition switch but would like to know for sure before tearing into it and replacing it since $$ is tight and don't have it to spare on replacing the wrong parts. Any ideas?

Old 04-13-2011, 05:04 PM

Could be the switch but I'd need to look at a wiring diagram and don't have one for the Sport. Some more info might help. Is it just the instruments that don't work in the Run position? How about radio, wipers, fan, etc? Also you say it turns over fine but later said it "hasn't cranked since" Which is it - does the starter fire every time when you turn the switch to start?

It's not too hard to pull the switch off the back of the key lock assy (at least on my regular Montero) and you can test it with a meter. Or replacements are not that expensive.

Not sure if this helps. Let us know the answers and maybe someone with a MS diagram can figure out why you're not getting juice to the inst panel or ingition coils.

Ron

Last edited by jrmdir; 04-13-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 PM

Yes, the radio, wipers, ac blower motor, ect all work. The instrument cluster does not work at all, light (except door ajar light, which works fine), the brake, check eng, charge light don't light up in run position as they should before turning it to start. The tachometer doesn't budge when trying to start and my friend who steered it when I pulled it home said the speedometer didn't work while being pulled. The rest of the dash seems to work normally. The starter still engages and turns the engine over fine, but isn't getting fire from the coil packs and also can't hear the fuel pump run when turn to the on position either (or prime up).

Old 04-14-2011, 12:51 AM

Did you check the fuse to the ECU? Maybe you have but I just want to be sure.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:41 AM

If there is any similarity between Sport and Full Size Montero wiring (I'm not 100% sure) then I would strongly suspect the ignition switch.

In my full size wiring diagram, one contact on the switch directly feeds both the ignition system and the instrument panel including the warning lamps. It's shown as Black/White wire on my truck. Pull the lower steering column casing and you should have access to the switch. With a 12v test lamp you should be able to check if all the connections go hot in sequence when you rotate the key. Or pull the switch and check with a meter.

I had to replace my switch at around 100K for burnt contacts (start) and it was not an expensive or difficult task. Might be worth a try.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:59 AM

On second thought, since some other items work in Run position it's possible that the switch is OK internally, but that the specifric wire that goes from the switch connector to the ignition & inst panel is not making good contact. As I recall there are mulitple wires attached to each switch position contact. So look for a conector or wiring problem in addition to testing the switch itself.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:05 PM

I'll try testing the switch when I get back home Sunday. I had to come back to Birmingham to stay with my grandson who was born premature and has to stay in the hospital for a couple of months. My wife and daughter are replacing me here this weekend so I can go home and work on it. As for the ECM or PCU as it is named on the Montero Sport, I asked the tech about it and he said that they rarely ever go bad and really didn't think that was the problem. But if the switch checks out, that will be the next thing I check out. I will repost after I get home and check it out on Sunday/Monday. Thanks for the input and will update then.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:32 PM

I have found out that the turn signals don't work either. I ohmed the switch wires from the switch to the connector and they are good. So no broken wires there. I unplugged the connections on the pcm and checked their continuity and all showed good continuity. i am about to try and further research it on the web and see what I can come up with. Also waiting on a friend who is a mechanic to come over and look at it too. Worst case scenario I will haul it in to have a diagnostics test run on it.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:16 PM

Still sounds like an ignition switch problem to me. You say you "ohmed" the wires which I take to be checking for continuity. Did you check for voltage as well? Again, the Sport may be different from my Full Size but generally there is a family resemblance in some things like Ignition switch wire assignments.

In my wiring diagram, that same lug on the switch with the Black/White wire I mentioned above as feeding the instrument panel and the ignition system also feeds the turn signals. Coincidence?

One way to check is to pull your turn signal fuse (I don't have a Sport fuse list but in my FS the fuse shown as # 10.) With the key on there should be +12v on one side of the fuse sockets. According to my diagram that hot side is wired directly to the ignition switch. So if you have no voltage on either socket then the switch is bad. They do go bad, are not expensive and are easy to replace. So at this point I'd throw a new one on before towing to a dealer.

Last edited by jrmdir; 04-21-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:08 PM

ok i got +12v dc off all wires on switch except the black wire with a yellow stripe on it. which is prob the instrument panel/turn signal power source wire. will try getting a switch for it in the morning and put it in.

Quick Reply: 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport won't run and instrument indicator lights don't work