Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Default Exhaust

I want to install a Muffler that will give a decent sound but nice on the pocket. Any suggestions and how much did you pay to get it done.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:29 PM

It will help, very much if you let everyone know what vehicle you have. You may be able to hear some exhaust notes for your particular Montero on YouTube, though I never feel those are great example of how it sounds in real life.

In my experience with vehicles, I have noticed that placement is a large factor in how the exhaust sounds. For instance, if the muffler is all the way at the rear it will sound different then being towards the front, such as under the front seat area. Likely, you'll want to keep the muffler and possible resonator in the same place so we'll just focus on which muffler.

Personally, I really like glasspacks. People talk a lot of trash about them, but when they are done correctly, they sound very good. I don't care for the way flowmasters sound on a smaller engine, but sometimes it just pans out. If you want to try a flowmaster then I would suggest running down to your local Pick'n'Pull or similar parts yard as they are usually between $8-$15 if you cut it out yourself with a saw or sawzall. Same goes for glasspacks, but sometimes they are rotted out, and a new one cost only a little more.

As far as the cost of having it installed, I have only once allowed an exhaust guy to do my exhaust, but it was because the car needed a complete exhaust behind the manifolds. Otherwise, I always install my own mufflers, but in any case it cost me $300 to put dual exhaust on my '63 Chevy wagon, and that included the cost of the long BlueStreak glasspacks. However, that was probably 10 years ago so it likely costs more, now. But again, that was dual exhaust, and all you are doing is replacing the muffler.

I also like Supertrapp mufflers, but if you don't have a nifty place for them to exit (since they are essentially a muffler and fancy looking tip all in one) then it might look dumb. You can usually find a used one on eBay.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:35 AM

What Montero do you have?

The Montero (NOT SPORT), 01-06 here in the USA, has 2 mufflers, the main huge one in the center under the 2nd/3rd row seating, then the one right at the exit.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:45 AM

02 Sport XLS

Old 02-07-2010, 01:08 AM

nothing

Last edited by 254chamorro; 02-15-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:45 AM

Should I keep it a single pipe at 2.50" or dual with 2.1/4" each. Any opinions.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:13 PM

I doubt any body will have the answer for you. You will just to just bring it to a muffler shop and tell them what to do.

Either way it will get louder.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:49 AM

I figured this much, this part of the forum sucks. I put out questions to get opinions even if its to say they cant help me but nothing. Thanks for the reply at least.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:54 AM

I don't see the point in changing to dual exits unless you want to muffle the sound even more. Some cars use this to their advantage, either to decrease the exhaust note even more OR to change the exhaust note. For instance, many BMW's use a setup where the exhaust is split into two, very early on using smaller exhaust tubing, which gives it a higher tone (not louder) of exhaust note which can sound rather sporty. However, they decrease it down to 1.75" dual exhaust pipes. If your exhaust is only 2.5" in a single, then dual 2.25" is overkill. You'd only need 1.25" duals, but since you probably won't find anything smaller than 1.75" readily available, use that if you want duals.

Recently, on my Paps' '59 Apache pickup, we just ran something like 1.25" or 1.5" duals with no mufflers at all and it was pretty quiet simply due to the exhaust tubing size. Oh, it had a 250 c.i. inline six.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:18 PM

Exhaust sounds are very subjective to taste of the driver. Some mufflers shops take the time to make sure the system has proper back pressusre along with the sound you desire.