Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001-2006 Montero - Rear Door Trunk Not Opening

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Exclamation 2001-2006 Montero - Rear Door Trunk Not Opening

Anyone have this problem?

I let my friend borrow my truck and says the rear door is not opening.

Obviously it is unlocked, and tried locking and then unlocking. With both the key and the key-fob. It is clearly unlocked, but fails to open.

I see I was not the only one after a quick search

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t1223791-back_do...l_not_open_2002

Anyone have any other methods

Old 10-03-2009, 11:37 PM

gonna have to force the door panel off, this could result in it bieng damaged. lock rod has come off or actuator has failed.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:24 PM

That guide above is WRONG.

Let me get it straight for people who have the problem in the future.

First of all there are 6 "tabs" or as I would rather say "CLIPS" holding the holder to the door.

You can clearly see it is wrong even in his pictures. You will see there are 6 clips, and the picture of the door, 3 holes on one side and another 3 on the other.

Also he says to slide it UP after the clips are removed. This too is WRONGGG You have to slide it DOWN.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:50 PM

Not having the problem but seeing as my kids go in and out of there all the time, I am going to lub it up, and as someone suggested. I would put a thin line of clear silicone across the top to prevent moisture from rusting things.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:45 PM

hi bud, i have a 93 pajero, same as a montero different name, i had the same issue, person i bought it off never tried to fix it.

door never opened when i got it. i took the panal off with the door in place. just has clips around the outside, remove the tool tray, take of the door handle and plastic bit around the door handle that opens the door and remove panal. you should now have access to locking mechinisim. easy job, fixed mine start to finish in an hour. mines a jap import but assuming they're similar.

this is where all the clips are in yellow

and the lock mechinisim, mine was stiff and just needed oiling to get it working again

Old 01-12-2010, 12:46 PM

This is exactly what I was looking for. So, just pry the black plate holder off and slide it down.

My door handle that operates the mechanism is moving freely, but door wont open. Does it mean that the whole thing has rusted and fell apart? Should I buy a new moving parts prior to tearing it all down? What those parts would be?

Thank you.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by cougar8000
This is exactly what I was looking for. So, just pry the black plate holder off and slide it down.

My door handle that operates the mechanism is moving freely, but door wont open. Does it mean that the whole thing has rusted and fell apart? Should I buy a new moving parts prior to tearing it all down? What those parts would be?

Thank you.

This is a known problem with the Monteros, and it's usually just the door lock mechanism hanging up because it needs lubrication. Do as the poster said above and remove your tool tray then the back panel, after that you'll have access to the lock and all linkage that opens the door. Spray it all down with some good penetrating oil like PB Blaster and work the handle while spraying. After that your lock should work and your door should open with no problems.

Last edited by Tantrix; 01-12-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:36 AM

Lower Plastic panel can be removed with the door closed?

Old 01-13-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by cougar8000
Lower Plastic panel can be removed with the door closed?
Yes it can.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:00 AM

yes, take of the tool box, remove the door handles to open and close door, gently pop the plastic pins and tray will come off, even with door closed as i couldn't open mine when i bought it and thought sod it, i'll take it off and replace it when broken but i didn't have to as it was a simple job. should take just over an hour the first time to remove lubricate and replace parts. make sure its all working before replacing it though :lol:

jason

Quick Reply: 2001-2006 Montero - Rear Door Trunk Not Opening