Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001 3.5L Limited head gasket repair, & XLS vs Limited

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 09:34 PM
Default 2002 3.5L Limited head gasket repair, & XLS vs Limited

I have two each full size 2001 XLS models that run well but of course have almost 200,000 miles on them so I'm always looking for another to use as parts or replacment. I found a 2002 full size Limited version, also 3.5L, 180,000 miles, for $500. Elderly man said it started overheating so he replaced the radiator and cooling parts. Then it overheated again, even at idle , after the radiator replacement. He said it overheated, spewed some steam, but he turned it off and let it cool down before driving the rest of the way home carefully/slow fully.
He thinks the head gasket is the cause. He says he was careful not to overheat it again on his way home and doesn't think other damage was caused.

Are there other items I'll likely need when doing this job other than the typical gaskets for rocker covers, water pump, etc?

Also, if the motor ends up being too badly damaged I wanted the Montero for various spare parts. Are all the other parts of the "Limited" the same as the XLS? Like the major components and accessories?

Lastly, any tips for inspection this Montero? He says I can start and drive it a short distance, and drive it up on my trailer. This wasn't true when I arrived to test operate it. It cranks well but doesn't catch and turn on.

Thanks much!

Last edited by wilde; 05-31-2016 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Mistype
Old 05-31-2016, 01:11 AM
Default 2002 Limited with water in oil won't crank

Does anyone know if a blown head gasket, assuming no other major internal failures, can make a Montero not start? It turns over but it won't start.

Can water in one spark plug cause this? Or maybe two wet plugs? Or what else, related to a bad head gasket, might cause it to refuse to start.?

When it's turning over I don't hear anything bad going on, like knocking or grinding. I don't see codes either.

I was going to try these:
1. Reset alarm system.
2. Stronger battery level by jump starting it.
3. clean the air intake and check air filter.

If none of these work to get it started, what should I try next? I need to get it started so I can run Steel Seal or Blue Devil head gasket repair products through it for 50 minutes of idle. I've read online reviews and YouTube accounts of these products and they seem to work fairly well. If I can get it started I can't try any of these products for fixing the head gasket.