Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001 Montero leaking coolant

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 01:56 AM
Default coolant leaking from transmission on montero sport

Hi Jer01mon,

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your montero? Mine is doing the same thing no coolant drips from engine at all. All of the coolant is coming from above the transmission, but there is no tracing it back to the engine. I work three blacks away and its been really cold so i fill up the coolant everyday but its getting expensive, and i don't want it to overheat. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:05 AM

Hey tg-mp, your problem sounds exactly like mine did. With a flashlight check between the top valve covers and peek between the valley of the two engine to see if there is a pool of coolant accumulating which would account for coolant fluid coming from the top of transmission. I would bet it has an o-ring leak where the middle pipe between the top of engine is and the thermostat meets. Buy those from the dealer and it should stop. Good luck with your monty. Look at this thread as to what you need to remove to get to that o-ring.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:28 PM

Jer01mont,

Thanks for your help let me check that out again. Ive looked there a few times and didnt see any, but let me try it with a flash light. Also I took tire off and went underneath suv and. It's wierd you cant see coolant running down engine it just appears on top of transmission.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:42 PM
Default Coolant leak

Hello all.
Similar problem to the thread above. One thing confuses me though.... the coolant in the radiator is an antifreeze mix so it's green and tastes sweet. The "water" leaking from the rear of the engine is clear. Any thoughts?

Old 05-27-2015, 11:01 PM

jer01mont, that is some serious work you have done there. Congrats on getting it all together. We all learned a lot from your post.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by gavsplace
Hello all.
Similar problem to the thread above. One thing confuses me though.... the coolant in the radiator is an antifreeze mix so it's green and tastes sweet. The "water" leaking from the rear of the engine is clear. Any thoughts?
The clear water you describe can be condensate from the AC.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by HunterD
The clear water you describe can be condensate from the AC.
Yeah, I figured it might be that but it still happens with front and rear air off. Starts a few minutes after the engine starts once it's up to temperature and continues dripping for a while after it stops. Think I may have found the source - looks like a drop from the horizontal metal pipe running along the firewall behind the engine. I'll update once I figure it out. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:32 PM
Default My 1995 is doing the same thing

Originally Posted by tg-mp
Jer01mont,

Thanks for your help let me check that out again. Ive looked there a few times and didnt see any, but let me try it with a flash light. Also I took tire off and went underneath suv and. It's wierd you cant see coolant running down engine it just appears on top of transmission.
Hello,

I am also experiencing this leak. It is coming out of the pipe that attaches to the back side of where the thermostat attaches. My question is how do I get at that pipe? Do I need to pull of the intake and everything on top, can I some how remove it from the back of the engine, pull the front end off and go at it that way, or a combination?

Old 11-04-2019, 07:53 PM

Gents, just changed the oil in my Monti. Looks like there is oil everywhere on the bottom of my engine... must be a leak somewhere. But engine runs smooth and quiet, just over 170k miles on it now. It's a 2001 LTD. I absolutely love it. But, now have a problem. After the engine oil change, antifreeze is pouring out from under the vehicle just behind the right hand side cat where all the pipes from aft of the engine come down and have all the rubber pipes on them. One of the pipes is completely corroded that holes have appeared in it and it's spraying out.

How can I get this pipe, and what kind of repair job am I looking at? I was thinking of getting a small pipe cutter, and just putting a coupler on it and reconnecting it. Yet, I would rather have original parts, or better than OEM, so that this won't happen again. Those pipes look pretty rough, as if just pulled up from the sea floor.

Here in upstate NY they salt the heck out of the roads, and I am sure the corrosion on these pipes comes from that.

I have a small video that show's it pouring out.

Attached Files
File Type: wmv
NYMontiRoc.wmv (3.63 MB, 107 views)

Last edited by sakuraart; 11-04-2019 at 07:56 PM.