Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001 Montero Limited 4WD not engaging...idiot lights flashing

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Default 2001 Montero Limited 4WD not engaging...idiot lights flashing

Hi,

I just purchased a 2001 Montero Limited back in mid-July and have been very happy with it except for it's topheavyness around corners(I live in the mountains with lots of curves...a X5 or Cayenne it's not) Rides really nice on the highway though. Am hoping a OME kit will help with the sloppy cornering.

Anyway, I unfortunately never tested the 4WD(I have the 5-Spd Automatic with the Active Trak 4WD. ) until yesterday as I was planning a camping trip up to the Sierras to one of my old favorite 4WD spots.

On the dash there are 4 green indicator lights that represent the tires and 1 yellow indicator light that looks like it represents the transmission/transfer case.

When I move the 4wd shifter into any 4WD position, the transmission and front tire indicators flash repeatedly and the 4WD never engages. The rear tire indicators always stay a solid green.

I plan on taking it back to the dealer, however they have indicated my 30 day window has expired for reporting any major issue and insist they tested it...(I really doubt that) I even purchased an extended warranty to cover any such issue, however since this is not mechanical, I am not sure it is covered....can feel my blood boiling right about now! I mean, that is pretty sleazy IMO, but we are not here to talk about how evil used car dealers are.

I am sure someone out there has a clue as to what the problem could be...would appreciate any pointers on what could be wrong or how to fix it.

Thanks
Rod

Old 09-04-2011, 03:09 PM

Hello Again....did some research and came up with this link....looks like it could be helpful for anyone having this issue and has many pictures and graphics to help.

Pajero 4x4 - 4wd offroad

Thanks
Rod

Old 09-06-2011, 03:55 PM

Again, this sounds like the vacuum switches under the airfilter. It's a $90 fix, they get stuck due to lack of use.

I had the same problem, try and make a habit of flicking to 4WD on the fly occasionally and you'll keep them on the ball!

Good luck, and by the way... when you get to those rough spots on those mountains, look around for an X5 or Cayenne.... no chance, maybe a Rover or Rangey, but no German pretenders!

Old 09-07-2011, 07:37 AM

This happened to my 2002 Montero Limited last year right as we bought it. It only had 65k miles on it. The transfer case light would flash constantly. We took it back to the dealer and they ended up changing one of the sensors on the transfer case (I believe there are five total) This fixed it and we've had no problems since. I definitely make an effort to engage the 4wd from time to time. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:32 PM

My 01 Mitsubishi montero xls just started having a lound grinding noise when coming to a stop, 4x4 light also flashing, I have read that those vacume switches might be the problem. Iv had my montero for 6yrs now and never had a problem untill now. Didnt know i had to engage it to 4x4 every once in a while.

Will it fix my problem if i change those switches that Rougesvp has mentioned?

Old 09-15-2011, 07:38 AM

granny,

Here's the part details if you're looking to replace it;

"Freewheel Clutch Solenoid valve" part # MR263723

Good luck, until you do it, drive it in 4H; you will not get the grinding noise if you do this. Essentially the car is trying to put itself into 4WD.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:03 PM

thanks for the responce rouge im on my way to mistsubishi to pickup my part.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:48 PM

I almsot picked up the wrong part, I have a non sport montero mine is the full size xls 3.5 lt v-6 the correct part number for the freewheel clutch is MR430381, they didnt have it in stock so it will be shipped out mon or tues.

The MR263723 is the correct freewheel clutch number for a montero sport.

ill be driving it in 4x4 H till i recieve the part.

this just occured to me, what if i disconnected the wires (not the vaccum hoses) from each solenoid? will it still try to engage?

Last edited by grannys65; 09-15-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:33 AM

Sorry about the wrong part no. I too have a full size Montero, so should have known better! One of the TV screens in mine failed yesterday... since fixed, hence in a rush!

As far as pulling the wires, I don't know is my answer; personally I wouldn't in fear of creating further issues. 4H is an easy fix. Just be mindful of it when in tight spaces as it will scrub your tyres more than normal.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:14 PM

Since Iv replaced the freewheel clutch sensor my 4x4 has been working fine.

Quick Reply: 2001 Montero Limited 4WD not engaging...idiot lights flashing