Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001 Montero Limited front wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Default 2001 Montero Limited front wheel bearing

It really sounds bad. The grinding is on about a 1-4 ratio of wheel rotation, so I assume there's lots of metal bits just floating around in there, waiting to melt and really ruin my day. Questions:

1. When I go to the Timken site, they only list rear bearings. What is the proper name for the part i need, front bearing?...hub assembly?
2. Where should I buy said part?
3. What should this thing cost?
4. Should a duffer like me attempt the repair?
5. If not, what can I expect to pay? I figure 2 hours labor in a shop...yes?...no?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:10 PM
Default RE: 2001 Montero Limited front wheel bearing

hello! it is called a front wheel bearing. you should buy it from a dealer. that bearing is a little different than most bearings. most aftermarket places dont carry it because its not your run of the mill bearing. hard to explain, but i have replaced a few of them, for noise like your talking about. that bearing has to be pressed out of the hub assembly, and a new one pressed back in. let the pros do it. gonna run you 3 to 4 hours labor.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:04 PM

I am going to replace my front hub assembly's myself. Does anyone know where I can get service documentation? I'm just looking for a procedure. Does the hub assembly need to be pressed in/out of the knuckle? Also, what is the best way to get to the hub 17mm bolts? is it easiest to unbolt the ball joints and remove the knuckle assembly leaving the axle shaft behind?
Thanks, Rick

Old 12-03-2008, 03:25 PM

it will probably be a nightmare due to corrosion.
It should just unbolt and come out, but I guarantee it wont. The whole knuckle usually needs to come out and be heated in a press.

who knows? Maybe you'll get lucky.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:48 PM

here's a picture of the hub assembly it is NOT as easy as it looks to remove. it will be frozen onto the knuckle like manybrews said.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:12 PM

Thanks guys....
I had the caliper and rotor off last night and soaked everything including the hub with penetrating oil. It doesn't look to be to corroded. I ordered the new hub assembly today and I should have it tomorrow. I am going to start the work on Friday. I'll let you know how it goes......

Old 12-03-2008, 08:11 PM

you're not gonna be happy with the amount of work it requires to disassemble it.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:17 AM

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Style Definitions table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:"; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} OK, I'm done. Iactually did the job last Friday. It took me 5.5 hours but that also included a front brake job and an oil change. It all went pretty smooth, I didn't even try to get the hub out of the knuckle, I brought it to my local machine shop and had them press it in and out.
All went well and the entire job cost was about $400 (new hub assembly, new brake pads, oil and filter, machine work for the hub and rotors).
Now on to the next repair, the power antenna just broke last night. I'm sure that part won't be cheap from the dealer....

Just an FYI, the truck now has 58,359mi and this is the first repair I've had to do to it aside from routine maintenance (tires, brakes etc.).

Thanks for all the assistance, Rick

Old 12-11-2008, 08:18 AM

Not sure what happened there...

OK, I'm done. Iactually did the job last Friday. It took me 5.5 hours but that also included a front brake job and an oil change. It all went pretty smooth, I didn't even try to get the hub out of the knuckle, I brought it to my local machine shop and had them press it in and out.
All went well and the entire job cost was about $400 (new hub assembly, new brake pads, oil and filter, machine work for the hub and rotors).
Now on to the next repair, the power antenna just broke last night. I'm sure that part won't be cheap from the dealer....

Just an FYI, the truck now has 58,359mi and this is the first repair I've had to do to it aside from routine maintenance (tires, brakes etc.).

Thanks for all the assistance, Rick

Old 12-30-2008, 09:06 PM

Rick,

I just came across you post as I was searching on info on doing the bearing swap on my 2001 Limited, also with 59,700 miles. I have lurked the site a few times but only registered tonight because I'm so irritated that with only 59,000 miles we are having to replace wheel bearings. I'm early in my searching but has this been a big issue on these? I was at Mitsubishi today asking about any recalls/warranty on the bearing and got no where of course.

I bought mine about 16 months ago with 48,000 miles on it. it does need some work such as the bearing and this whining noise from the power steering from time to time. Anyway thanks for the post, it's inspirational as I'm usually a do it yourself'er and have been considering the bearing job my self, but have not come to grips with the assembly cost as of yet.

Jason

Quick Reply: 2001 Montero Limited front wheel bearing