Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001 Montero Sport Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Default 2001 Montero Sport Wiring Harness

I need help Please. My wifes dog got under my Montero and chewed my wiring harness in two. I cant afford a new one right now and I cant find a used one in a salvage yard in my area. Does anyone know if another year harness will work for this. I have patched the harness but the speedometer does not work now and when I shift from to park to drive or reverse it jerks real hard, Any suggestions on how to temporarly fix this until I can find a replacement. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Default RE: 2001 Montero Sport Wiring Harness

First - shoot the dog. Second, get the part before you break something bad. Try mitsubishiparts.com they usually beat the dealer by alot of cash. If you call them, they should be able to tell you if other years are the same part number. Your problem of not findning GenIII parts at the junk yards is common. Not many to be had. Plus junkyards now know easily what the dealer charges and if you are lucky to find one they barely give you a break. I think many junk yards dont cater too much to the counter sales anymore. Seems like many sell parts amongst themselves (internet) and are sold to repair shops. Even for my 97 Ford F-150, its hard to find parts. When one gets wrecked, the whole truck is sold immediately and then the parts go thru the professional channels. IMHO, Gone are the days of finding huge bargains...

Old 10-02-2006, 04:30 PM

Try car-part.com or msrecycling.com

Old 10-04-2006, 12:02 AM

Thanks for the info guys, I have parked my Montero and well I didnt shoot the dog for reasons I cant discuss here with it being the wifes dog and all but anyway I have visited the links ya'll sent and waiting for replies. I need to remove the harness but dont know how to remove the part going up into the car without tearing something up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:47 PM

Dont know what the job entails, but you may want to try alldatadiy.com. You buy a subscription and its like a menu-driven chiltons manual. They might have a procedure on how to do it - or at the very least - have exploded diagrams to guide you on the routing of this. Also, might be helpful to talk to the dealer and get a quote. When they give you a quote, you might be able to find out what kind of labor is involved. Call the guys at mitsubishiparts.com, their parts guys are knowledgeable and might be able to shed some light on what is involved.

Let us now if/when you decide to do this job.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:56 PM

Pokerdude.

Depending on how badly the harness was chewed up, I'd recommend reparing it before replacing it. Replacing it will likely require hours of work and possibly removal of multiple interior trim pieces including the entire dash assembly, carpets, etc.

The main wiring harness will probably have at least ~50 wires in it and most all will be color coded differently so this should make it easier to repair them but just be sure there aren't more than two that are color coded the same. If they are, then you'll need to check to be sure you connect the right wires together.

Also FWIW, I've found alldata's manuals are written/designed for mechanics which means they expect you to already know a certain amount of knowledge and this can lead to loads of confusion if you aren't already at that level.

HTH

Old 10-09-2006, 10:04 PM

Thanks for the input guys, I have decided to let the professionals fix my Montero, I seem to have a black cloud following me around lately. I dropped it off this evening to have her fixed. I appreciate all of your help and will let you know how things work out as soon as I get her back.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:17 AM

I finally got my Montero back today after 8 days in the garage, The mechanic said after about 10 hours of printing out the wiring diagram and putting the testers on the wires and replacing the speed sensor he was finally able to get me back on the road again. Man I thought it would be kind of a simple fix, Boy was I wrong. I appreciate the help you guys gave me. Thanks.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Banned

Damn TJ i was gna say that lol... beat me to it.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:55 PM

You think I was joking?!

Anyway, Im glad that you got this resolved. 10 hours huh? Sounds like a major job. Anyway, take some hot sauce or grease or something and "paint" the area where it was chewed to prevent that from happening again!

You gotta keep the dog now - factoring in the cost of the harness job ($?) and vet bills - that dog might as well have a diamond studded dog collar!