Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001 Montero XLS Break Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Default Quick Question

What Island are you on? Im having the same problem on the Big Island and dont wanna spend a bunch to get this fixed.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:49 PM

Thanks Kelvin for the videos. Thats exactly the noise Im getting from my 03 montero.

I took mine to a dealer today and they told me that my 03 Paj was not part of recall. Actually I have a silver accumulator (4630A012) that apparently replaced the black bulb version (4630A011). Apparently mitsu replaced the 012 for the 011 brake accumulator for '03 and later. (I assume it was due to all the issues with the original design). The only other part to replace is the entire hydraulic brake system that is almost $2000 USD! I really hope its the $180 USD accumulator!

I called a high volume mitsu parts company - they told me that even though the 012 version is less failure prone, they do fail. Out of almost 300 shipments for brake issues, only one needed an entirely new brake system versus just the accumulator. I took the guys word for it and ordered a new 012 accumulator. Ill have it in about a week. At least I know that I can still drive the truck while I wait.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:04 PM

well it looks like my 2002 Montero Limited is doing the exact same thing as the videos from the original poster.

Thank goodness for his videos. There are hardly any resources for our cars. So this is great.

Exact same noise/symptoms except I do not have the ABS light on. It just started and it has got worse and louder.

You can check Mitsubishi and enter your VIN# to see if it is part of it or it has been done.

It's 2015, I entered my VIN and its not an open recall for me maybe because it has been over a decade since it was listed?

You can check yourself here:
https://www.mitsubishicars.com/owners/service#

My local mechanic at first thought it was the entire ABS system and as some may know, they scare you saying it will be a $1-3K, I told him its just the accumulator as an old recall and he will look into it tomorrow and hopefully its just that as you all have been saying.

It looks easy enough to replace:
http://www.pajero4x4.ru/piii/GR00006600-35A.pdf
see page 134

I don't have time or energy to so we will see how it goes. It looks like the part # for the accumulator in question is 4630A011 and is about $100 on ebay. Thats the genuine mitsu part. Is there even an aftermarket version? Either way has anyone replaced it themselves? Experience on the job?

Old 07-01-2015, 02:22 AM

It looks and sounds like an issue with the brake power booster. The Hydraulic Brake Booster accumulator (black metal ball looking thing) or HBB is part of that system. The noise could be coming from a malfunctioning (faulty) HBB accumulator. If that is what is wrong, please do not pay $300 to anyone to replace it. Get the part, put some shop rags under the accumulator to catch some brake fluid, unscrew the old HBB and screw in the new one and you are done. That's how complicated the repair of faulty HBB accumulator is.
It is possible that the noise is coming from further down in the brake system - actual booster motor. This repair is more complicated and more costly as far as parts go. There is a recent post dealing with that problem: https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...working-48415/

Old 07-01-2015, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by HunterD
It looks and sounds like an issue with the brake power booster. The Hydraulic Brake Booster accumulator (black metal ball looking thing) or HBB is part of that system. The noise could be coming from a malfunctioning (faulty) HBB accumulator. If that is what is wrong, please do not pay $300 to anyone to replace it. Get the part, put some shop rags under the accumulator to catch some brake fluid, unscrew the old HBB and screw in the new one and you are done. That's how complicated the repair of faulty HBB accumulator is.
It is possible that the noise is coming from further down in the brake system - actual booster motor. This repair is more complicated and more costly as far as parts go. There is a recent post dealing with that problem: https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...working-48415/
Is it that easy? It seems as if most other owners who have had similar problems has always become this, and not the more complicated and costly route that consist of replacing the entire system. that would be the minority of the crowd it seems, and im hoping i'm not in there.

i called mitsubishi corporate just to confirm if im covered, but the website i posted above is accurate. its pretty much what they will see. they said if its a recall it will stay and if its available it will show online or in their system.

so yea i have no choice but to do it myself or bring to a shop.

Just called my local mitsubishi dealership after. part# 4630A011 is in stock locally there and its $140. Online is just slightly cheaper. We'll see if I will tackle it myself.

Last edited by redturboeclipse; 07-01-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:37 AM

The recall for faulty HBB accumulator was way back in mid 2000's. It is possible that your vehicle had gone through the recall already and therefore it is not eligible for it now. I had that happen on my Montero - got recall notice (before I had any problems or noises), got dealer to replace HBB accumulator. Then about 4-5 years later and who knows how many miles down the road, got a weird horrible noise every time I touch brakes. It turned out to be the HBB accumulator failure (the "upgraded" version of it after recall). Called the dealer to see if warranty and recall still applied - of course not. Ordered just the accumulator part and replaced it myself. I'm not kidding you it is just unscrew the accumulator and screw back in the new one. You are supposed to drill out the old accumulator once you remove it (prior to disposal) in order to relieve the internal pressure, but that is not complicated ether.
If you are lucky and it is just the accumulator, it is an easy DIY repair.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD
The recall for faulty HBB accumulator was way back in mid 2000's. It is possible that your vehicle had gone through the recall already and therefore it is not eligible for it now. I had that happen on my Montero - got recall notice (before I had any problems or noises), got dealer to replace HBB accumulator. Then about 4-5 years later and who knows how many miles down the road, got a weird horrible noise every time I touch brakes. It turned out to be the HBB accumulator failure (the "upgraded" version of it after recall). Called the dealer to see if warranty and recall still applied - of course not. Ordered just the accumulator part and replaced it myself. I'm not kidding you it is just unscrew the accumulator and screw back in the new one. You are supposed to drill out the old accumulator once you remove it (prior to disposal) in order to relieve the internal pressure, but that is not complicated ether.
If you are lucky and it is just the accumulator, it is an easy DIY repair.

yea i read somewhere the "silver" one was the old accumulator, and the round black one is the updated one. hence the part # mentioned in all threads. thats the one i already have on the car. so thats probably why my 2002 was never part of the recall. mitsu said there was not ever any record that it was applied to me or that it was ever done. so guess that explains it.

I just started to remove the accumulator, and yes it was very easy. 21mm and screws right off. thing is pretty heavy.

i'm going to the dealer at lunch to purchase the part. it's straight forward just as i've read. i'll post osme pics later

Old 07-01-2015, 03:15 PM

Well HunterD, it was as easy as you mentioned it.

Had an hour lunch break and was able to go to my local Mitsu to pick up the part which they had in stock and then install it.

For future references for others:

There is the part number and box and any other reference number that could possibly be for the part:

It comes with this insert inside the box. A vague install sheet. Don't worry about the other pages, its just the same but in other languages.

Here is a picture of my old one and the new one. The old one has the PINK top (came with my 2002 Montero--I was not part of the recall) and the one with YELLOW top is the one I just bought.

and obviously here is a top view of the old accumulator removed ready for the new one to screw right in

The new accumulator already came with a new o-ring preinstalled. Some posts I read before made it seem like it didn't, but mine did.

And just as a reference, here is someone's receipt (not mine) who got theirs done under recall. You will see the part # listed there again. Just more incase someone may find it useful

So if anyone has symptoms and sounds like the first post, dont be haste on replacing the entire thing or being duped by mitsu or shops and make you spend $2-3K, replace the accumulator first. Very easy. You can find the part at your local dealership, or on ebay/online. You probably save $20-40 buying online.

Attached Thumbnails 2001 Montero XLS Break Noise-img_5114.jpg   2001 Montero XLS Break Noise-img_5116.jpg   2001 Montero XLS Break Noise-img_5115.jpg   2001 Montero XLS Break Noise-img_5113.jpg   2001 Montero XLS Break Noise-receiptmitsu.jpg  

Old 07-01-2015, 06:55 PM

Good job redturboeclipse. Glad to be of help. BTW, thank you for posting all the part numbers for other users here.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:50 AM

This is soooo useful. Thank you!!
Did you need a special wrench?

Quick Reply: 2001 Montero XLS Break Noise