Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2002 montero sport 3.5L engine removal

Old 01-29-2016, 06:32 AM

Hi Larry, Well with what you have wrong here is different from mine... but if it were me I would have the block resleeved and cut, heads cut if they can be. All new gaskets of course. New pistons. any worn parts like that. Cause I have been their before and spent a lot of money only to find I made an air compressor out of the motor and made it undriveable. Yes cursing was involved too. You will save a lot of time and money just resleeving the block. Check that out first bud. Don't make the same mistake I did. Yes the soda blaster can work but I used a parts washer with a stiff brush. Should be done in a heated garage not in a back yard also. One other thing..... Get the CD or the Manual.. You will need the toque specs and make some install tools.. for some reason their should be left handed bolts where their are right handed like for the timing belt tensioner pulley.. you will see.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by larry4406
Using the engine block decoding in Post 14, my scored pistons from cylinders 1&2 are Class B.

What does this Classification mean?

I can order OEM pistons that are Class B, but they do not come with piston rings. So when I order rings, do I order standard or some oversize?

The block stampings indicate that all of my pistons are Class B with the exception of cylinder 6 which is Class A. What does this mean regarding rings?

Piston rings come in a set for 6 pistons. How do I address that 5 are Class B while one is Class A?

Lastly, fyi Mitsubishi uses unusual "Left/Right" nomenclature. The "Left" bank is the passenger side and the "Right" bank is the driver side. Mitsubishi defines left/right from the front looking at the engine. Note the factory labeling on the camshaft timing gears.
Hi larry,

As a follow up to my other post, you can investigate with a reliable shop the viability of having all the holes bored out to the minimum "C" piston range, and then buy 6 C pistons from Mitsu. This way you end up with actual factory specs still.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Outlandish1
Hi larry,

As a follow up to my other post, you can investigate with a reliable shop the viability of having all the holes bored out to the minimum "C" piston range, and then buy 6 C pistons from Mitsu. This way you end up with actual factory specs still.
The bores are fine, original cross hatching still present. The factory used 5 Class B pistons and 1 Class A piston in my engine. I will be buying 2 Class B factory pistons to replace the damaged ones. Machine shop said waste of time and money to bore, said I should replace the two damaged pistons and rods, deglaze the bores, new rings and go. They also looked at the heads and said no need to resurface.

I have a heated garage, commercial parts washer, factory manuals, etc.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Outlandish1
Hi,
Lube for assembly. I could not be more emphatic for you to use a product called Lubriplate. It is a white grease of the highest quality. Use it on every bearing and assembly surface and your engine will thank you for it. No need to rush into an oil change with that product, I will change it at 2000 initial kms.

Good luck, hopes this helps.
Outlandish1 - thanks for the assembly lube tip!.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 montero sport 3.5L engine removal-lubriplate-105.jpg  
Old 01-30-2016, 05:17 PM

Outlandish1 - thanks for the assembly lube tip!.
My pleasure, glad to help.
Good luck with your project!

Old 01-31-2016, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by 2001Mitch3.5XS
Hi Larry, Well with what you have wrong here is different from mine... but if it were me I would have the block resleeved and cut, heads cut if they can be. All new gaskets of course. New pistons. any worn parts like that. Cause I have been their before and spent a lot of money only to find I made an air compressor out of the motor and made it undriveable. Yes cursing was involved too. You will save a lot of time and money just resleeving the block. Check that out first bud. Don't make the same mistake I did. Yes the soda blaster can work but I used a parts washer with a stiff brush. Should be done in a heated garage not in a back yard also. One other thing..... Get the CD or the Manual.. You will need the toque specs and make some install tools.. for some reason their should be left handed bolts where their are right handed like for the timing belt tensioner pulley.. you will see.
No need to sleeve the block. Original bores are not scored and still show factory cross hatching. I will deglaze the bores.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:54 PM

Montero has about 150-160k and we are original owners. Rod knock developed about 1 year ago and its been sitting while we renovated a house prior to move in.
larry, This quote from the original owners makes me chuckle....the crowd silence was noticable wasnt it? Too bad,as an owner I would have loved to have believed all were much longer lived. ive got 230k & never a part failure or replacement(except timing belt,cruise control,antenna,spare lift mechanism) ,but Ive been worrying ever since i turned 200K. Thx for all the explanation on your project.It has convinced me to not attempt it myself and look for a reman shtblock or another with much less mileage. Ive seen 60-100 K monteros for sale,but the 2 i saw locally went relatively quick.

Last edited by PalmSprings; 02-04-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by PalmSprings
larry, This quote from the original owners makes me chuckle....the crowd silence was noticable wasnt it? Too bad,as an owner I would have loved to have believed all were much longer lived. ive got 230k & never a part failure or replacement(except timing belt,cruise control,antenna,spare lift mechanism) ,but Ive been worrying ever since i turned 200K. Thx for all the explanation on your project.It has convinced me to not attempt it myself and look for a reman shtblock or another with much less mileage. Ive seen 60-100 K monteros for sale,but the 2 i saw locally went relatively quick.
I feel your pain. I looked for quite some time to try to find a good used running engine from a wrecked vehicle, etc. I was not able to find anything local and the few junkyards in my area were less than cooperative. The used engines on-line were all well north of $1000-1500 plus shipping and then those engines all had mileage near comparable to mine. So, I decided to dig in to determine the problem, and this is the path it lead me to.

I am curious as to whether the similar engine variants from other Mitsubishi vehicles and/or Dodge would fit. Search "Club 3G Forum" and "Club 4G Forum" and you will find lots of folks working on near identical engines from other marks.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:44 AM

Bought some Craftsman tools at Sears to assist in the rebuild. Valve spring compressor, gasket scrapers, and ratcheting type band piston ring compressor. All Made In USA

Still need to buy engine cleaning brushes, dingle berry hone, and piston ring expander pliers.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 montero sport 3.5L engine removal-craftsman-947627-valve-spring-compressor.jpg   2002 montero sport 3.5L engine removal-craftsman-gasket-scrapers.jpg   2002 montero sport 3.5L engine removal-craftsman-piston-ring-compressor.jpg  
Old 02-07-2016, 07:54 AM

Cleaning pistons and rods in the Zep Dyna Brute parts washer. Using Zep Dyna 143 cleaning solvent. The tank was a Craigslist find for $70 but I needed to replace the fusible link, all of the hoses, and find a new o-ring for the filter. Home Depot string wound water filters HDX2SF4 work perfect!. I separately also scored three 20 gallon barrels of Dyna 143 for $120.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 montero sport 3.5L engine removal-piston-cleaning.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 montero sport 3.5L engine removal