Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2002 Montero Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by MXer746
I poke, I take pictures, I take my time and label stuff, and it took me two days at 3 to 4 hours each day. Like I said I go slow. I'm getting ready to change the spark plugs. That's going to be another pain in the butt. I'll post pics on it too.

Hi MXer746, Any chance that you have a guide/pics of your spark plugs change?

Thanks

Old 04-08-2015, 09:22 AM

Haven't got into it yet. Waiting for the weather here to warm up abit first.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:54 AM
Default Joining the timing belt ckub

Ok so I see that way back someone had the manual for the monte, I have an 01 limited that I'm getting ready to do the timing belt, water pump, adjuster and all the gaskets work on! I bet I can figure it out but man, info ahead of time would sure be helpful. Tons of work I've already put into getting the 4wd operable along with several other repairs since I bought it 3 weeks ago and all was going into it with no introduction. Not sure how to get that link to the manual but any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 10-13-2015, 05:53 PM

Hi MXer746, looking at your previous posts I see that you recommend replacing the timing belt between 80k to 90k miles. I have a 2005 Montero Limited that is at 68k miles and I don't know if the previous owner replaced the belt at 60k. Assuming it has not been replaced, would the age of the belt (10 years) be a factor?

Thanks.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Norman Briones
Hi MXer746, looking at your previous posts I see that you recommend replacing the timing belt between 80k to 90k miles. I have a 2005 Montero Limited that is at 68k miles and I don't know if the previous owner replaced the belt at 60k. Assuming it has not been replaced, would the age of the belt (10 years) be a factor?

Thanks.
I know the question wasn't directed at me but I'll throw my answer to that out there! First of all congratulations on finding a Monte with such low miles, that's gold in itself lol! Anyhow, yes age is a big factor because rubber dries, cracks etc and although you might get in there and find it too look OK remember it is about 10 years old considering the mitsu was probably built in 05 some time. Better safe than sorry I think and better than taking a chance to find yourself on the side of the freeway with a dead low mileage Monte along with bent valves etc. Don't let folks scare you into it being a job like working on a space shuttle, I did mine in my Monte June of this year and it wasn't near the hype everyone tried to make it sound. Again you didn't ask me but hopefully my response will help you decide what's best for your Montero.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:15 PM

Thanks Happaudio! I appreciate your taking the time to answer my question. That will be at the top of my list now. I had been looking for some time for a 2006 Montero, but when this 2005 showed up, I could not pass it up. The previous owner appears to have taken real good care of her. Real happy with the purchase.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Norman Briones
Thanks Happaudio! I appreciate your taking the time to answer my question. That will be at the top of my list now. I had been looking for some time for a 2006 Montero, but when this 2005 showed up, I could not pass it up. The previous owner appears to have taken real good care of her. Real happy with the purchase.
You're welcome and man you struck it good with a great deal on the montero, they're starting to be an endangered species any more. I would highly encourage the timing belt replacement, it'll give your ride a very long life and like I said before peace of mind! While you're in there change that water pump for sure as you'll already be there. I went beyond and did as much as I could while I was there, dayco timing belt, timing belt pulleys, cam shaft seals, timing belt tensioner, water pump, crank position sensor, valve cover gaskets, ngk iridium plugs, ngk wires, thermostat and serpentine belt. Whatever you do I strongly advise not going cheap with the timing belt, water pump, plugs and wires or you could be asking for trouble. You can but the timing belt kits on eBay but just make sure you're getting a high quality aftermarket or oem kit, there are tons of cheapos on there and I've heard the horror stories that go with them. Dayco belts, NGK or equivalent on the plugs and wires and I chose the made in Japan GMB water pump just to name the more critical components. If you need any advice or tips don't be afraid to post here, I bet someone including myself can help you out.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:03 PM

I had been compiling a list of other things to replace along with the belt. I'll be sure to add the items you suggested above. Might as well replace them while everything's dismantled.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:27 AM
Default Any chance of sending timing belt...

Originally Posted by struculeus
If you've ever changed out timing belts in the past, and you know what you're doing, I think it's a pretty easy job compared to some. If you post your e-mail, I'll send you the .pdf of the instructions how to do it (it's 1.5 MB).
J
Any chance you still have that info on timing belt? If so could you post or send it to me?
Dooley

Old 12-31-2015, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by dooley
Any chance you still have that info on timing belt? If so could you post or send it to me?
Dooley
I have purchased all my rebuild kits from Rockauto.com, way cheaper than other sites and you have great selection of manufacturers.

Quick Reply: 2002 Montero Timing Belt