Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2002 Montero Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 10:25 AM

So this is just a humble mechanic's opinion, but I think $1100 sounds high for a timing belt. Dealerships can have really high labor rates. I know I could do it for half that. I just replaced my wife's belt, component kit, and water pump on her Montero. RockAuto.com saved me a bunch of $ on parts.

As for symptoms, you won't have any. Timing belts should be done at intervals. Usually between 80,000 and 110,000 miles depending on the vehicle. A visual inspection can be done by removing part of the upper timing cover, that will only tell you so much though. The timing belt is a crucial maintenance item. If it wears out and strips before you get to replacing it you will be in for a much bigger headache and repair bill. Your vehicle will break down and more stuff will break. In some cases a new engine can be the cost. This is not to scare you. Just schedule that appointment and get it done soon.

Your best bet is to get quotes from a couple local shops (not dealerships). I suggest getting references and doing some research for shop reviews. Also, stop by shops if you can. You can learn a lot about a business by stepping foot inside and meeting employees. Recommendations go a long way because its not as much about the shop as it is the individual mechanic. See if anyone you know has a particular mechanic that they trust and can refer you to. That's how I get most of my business. Good luck and let me know if I can help any more.

-Chris, the honest mechanic

Old 11-30-2013, 01:44 PM

I agree. It's not like some parts that show signs of a problem before they go. If the belt goes, then the valves stop and if the pistons are still moving up and down at that point, and they will be, that won't be good. Replace at regular intervals. I did it because I inherently just don't trust mechanics. There are some who are honest, but they're hard to find. I have a very good friend who is one, but he lives 2 1/2 hours from me so I just end up calling when I have a question.
You are at the point where I'd be looking into it for sure. Do it your self, it really isn't that hard. If you feel uncomfortable with the hillbilly homemade tools I used, then buy the actual tools that are required and you'll still be ahead of the game.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:22 AM

Thanks MXer746 and 4WD98Mont! I appreciate your insight! We have tried several area "Mom and Pops" that have come highly recommended and finally returned to the dealership recently, but I think for this job, we may DIY before we are very sorry we delayed.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:36 AM

If you haven't already, look back through this thread. There are some very helpful pictures and advice for DIY. I say GO FOR IT! Don't let those dealer folk take you to the bank. Check out rockauto.com for parts. That's where I got the parts for my wife's Montero. I suggest replacing the water pump and component kit while you are in there. I also replaced the cam seals and crank seal. It will save you labor later. The cam seals are bad for leaking on the 3.0L V6. Also, be sure to install the tensioner pulley properly. I had to take mine back apart and redo it because I installed it incorrectly.

Last thing...I had a slight issue with the water pump I got from Rock Auto. I had to make a slight modification using a pneumatic cut-off wheel and a die grinder. It was not difficult and didn't take me long but it is something to beware of. Do a very close side-by-side comparison of the new and the old before installing it. That is all...I think. Good luck! Let me know if I can help any further.

-Chris, your friendly neighborhood mechanic

Old 02-03-2014, 11:41 PM
Default Timing belt 2002 Montero

I have the greatest, but he replaced it for me at 189,000. At only $550! He was replacing other things and my belt was thinning and warping (go figure after 189K and 12 years in my 2002 Montero?
Originally Posted by gogirlfour
I recently asked a dealership if the timing belt in my 2002 Montero Limited is fatal and I couldn't seem to get a straight answer. Is it or isn't it? Are there any symptoms to let me know when it should TRULY be replaced? I am at approx. 112,000 miles and was quoted $1100 for the dealer to replace it. I'd rather not, of course, unless it's necessary, until it's necessary.
Get it checked every 6 months if you don't want to replace. A timing belt can screw your valves and cost you 3 to 4 times what a belt replacement costs, let alone a $30 check!

Old 06-24-2014, 10:38 AM

Any chance you can send me that PDF on timing belts. dwright152@aol.com.
Thanks

Old 06-24-2014, 06:46 PM

What would I have to look for instead of waiting for the timing belt to break. Can you send me the info on changing it too...Many thanks Struc... handson59842@yahoo.com

Old 06-25-2014, 06:35 AM

Look back a couple pages and you'll find what I did. As far as changing it, I'd do it every 80~90,000 mi or so. No real way to eyeball it, it'll just snap.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:56 AM

LOL... This site is awesome...
Can you please send me a copy for the timing belt replacement also to my new email addy... tonyallissa@yahoo.com and thank you for being such a big help to everyone...T

Old 07-23-2014, 06:20 PM

Can you plz send the pdf to me also. I am going to change the timing belt soon as I can...Thanks for all your help here... tonyallissa@yahoo.com and tks. again...

Quick Reply: 2002 Montero Timing Belt