Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2003 Limited Buzz/Vibration......Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 11:19 AM
Default 2003 Limited Buzz/Vibration......Help

First want to say hello to all as I am new to the board and to my 2003 Limited.
I have read over many threads and post about vibrations in these vehicles and wanted to ask for some help.

Bought it 2 weeks ago, 1 owner, 140,000 miles and it looks like new. They took good care of it and servicing looks up to date. I have had it at a local shop getting a few things done and one of them being this buzz/vibration issue.

At 2100-2300 rpms I get a minor buzz/vibration that can be felt in the steering wheel and you can hear it a slight bit also. It will do it in park,neutral, and in gear only in that rpm range.

The shop checked over everything and replaced a couple of parts in hopes to solve it but alas it is still there. From what I read it does not appear to be the torque converter as it presents differently that what others have described. I am assuming this but the shop did say that even in park the torque converter can still give a vibration.....

I got under the vehicle this morning and removed the vibration damper block attached under the rear of the transmission as some has suggested but that made no difference. I asked about the harmonic balancer at the shop and they told me it looked ok with no cracks in the rubber, but they did not remove it just a visual inspection. Anyone have an issue with this balancer?

Reading all the previous post is this a common problem and has anyone with this symptom found a good fix? Or is this a normal thing with these monteros and I just have to live with it.

Any thoughts would be great as I love the vehicle but the buzzing/vibration is annoying since it falls in that specific range.

Thanks for any help!

Old 10-26-2014, 05:14 PM

I have spent a vast amount of time researching the Pajero sites since there seems to be more of these models overseas.

It seems that many on those sites have had success with replacing the transmission mounts and reduced the vibration by 90%.....

Has anyone here done this or have tried replacing/modifying the mounts? Like stated before I did remove the dynamic balancer from the underside of the transmission but it did not seem to help.

Any thoughts on this possible solution?

Old 10-30-2014, 06:42 AM
Default Thanks for your research!

Have you tried this yet?

When I get home this evening I will put it in Neutral again and try to replicate. I have the same noise and vibration as you described.

When I took it to the shop last they tightened a couple bolts below saying they believed that would fix the noise. It did not. I have been hoping to hear about a solution since then.

My Montero has a little under 75K on it and I've had it serviced regularly as well.

Hope to hear back from you about the success, if you've attempted.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:57 PM

So it seems that your issue may not be the same OR it may not be bad enough yet to be felt in park?

Another thought that you may have read could be an issue with a torque convertor shudder that many have experienced. It seems that a good transmission flush and replacing the fluid with OEM Mitsubishi Diamond fluid(from any dealer) normally solves that shudder issue. Many threads out there on that problem and fix. If it is not the torque convertor shudder then you can try the following:

After researching the overseas Pajero websites I found a common thread with many experiencing a vibration/buzz at 2000-2200 rpm's. The more mileage you have (140K on mine) the worse the problem can be, more of a nuisance than anything and very annoying. From what I found on these sites is that the transmission mounts go bad over time and cause a harmonic vibration around the 2000 rpm range. To see if this may be your problem you can do the following test as was suggested by many:

On level ground place a floor jack under the vehicle and slightly lift up/put pressure on the transmission housing right behind the big center cross member. You only need to lift is just a bit to take pressure off the mounts that are on the cross member. Get inside the vehicle and close the door and run it up to the 2000-2200 rpm range and see if the vibration/buzz goes away or gets any better, if so.......bing you got it. I talked to a local transmission shop and they said this was a good way to home diagnosis it.

So to answer the question....I did this at home with a floor jack and WORKED like a charm, no vibration/buzz in the cab, steering wheel, no where. To take it a step further I enlisted a helper and had them raise the jack up to lift the transmission while I was inside revving the motor to the rpm range. With my foot on the gas pedal at 2100 rpms I had the vibration but as soon as I gave the signal and they lifted the transmission just a little bit it instantly went away!

Reading the follow ups to the overseas forums many either replace the mounts or just add rubber washers to the existing mounts through the bolts or some variation of it.

So this may help some out there who are experiencing this issue, good luck and post back with your trials and fixes!

Old 12-07-2014, 10:30 AM

Thanks for all the information. I own a 2005 montero with just over 70k, bought it originally with just over 50k. Not too long ago i started noticing the same condition you describe, probably around 5k ago. I was getting concerned since it seemed to be a transmission induced buzz, maybe related to internals.
I decided to look around the forum today hoping someone had the same experience, luckily, you described exactly what i noticed.
I will try what you did and correct as required.
Did you ever notice the vibration/buzz again after repairing the mounts? not sure if you replaced the mounts or decided to add rubber to them ?
thanks again !.