Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2003 Montero Limited 3.8L Crankshaft Sensor Plate Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 05:12 PM
Default 2003 Montero Limited 3.8L Crankshaft Sensor Plate Question

Hi Everyone, I am replacing the timing belt on my 2003 Montero Limited with the 3.8L V6 and I have a question about the crankshaft position sensor plate that came on the motor. The sensor plate that I have has the pins spot-welded about 8-10 degrees to the side of the holes in the plate. this means that the gear, plate and spacer do not line up correctly with the key slot in the gear. This is what was on the motor when I took it apart as the photo shows.

Because the crankshaft pulley and gear came off in one piece and I had to beat them apart to get them separated I decided to replace both pieces with new Mitsubishi parts. The new crankshaft gear came with the pins already in it. In looking at all the information I can find online the sensor plate and spacer are supposed to line up with the pins in the gear. If I line up the holes in the sensor with the pins in the gear the key slot aligns correctly.

Right now I am at a loss on how to put this back together. Do I pull the pins from the new gear and use the pins in the sensor plate or cut the pins from the sensor plate and get everything to align correctly? I am hoping someone else has had this issue and can give me some input on how to put this back together. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Thumbnails 2003 Montero Limited 3.8L Crankshaft Sensor Plate Question-dsc_0647.jpg   2003 Montero Limited 3.8L Crankshaft Sensor Plate Question-dsc_0662.jpg  
Old 04-23-2016, 11:28 PM

Problem solved. I did some additional research after posting on the forum. The pins are not supposed to be where they were. Whoever did the last timing belt change allowed the crank gear to slip forward and the reluctor plate to come off the pins. When the crank pulley was torqued on the pins were almost welded to the plate by the force. In some instances I saw photos of where the pins had punched new holes. Today I took the pins off with pliers and got everything to align correctly. Took extra care to make sure the crank gear did not come forward when putting on the crank pulley. I'll know more when I start up my Montero tomorrow.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:08 PM

I have a 2003 Montero Limited and am learning about changing the timing belt, and everything else (tensioner pulley, auto tensioner, idler pulley, water pump, crankshaft position sensor, and a few seals). What manual did you use? and what would you recommend?

In advance, thanks