Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2003 Montero Limited

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 07:25 PM
Default 2003 Montero Limited

Hello everyone, I have owned a 1996 Montero LS in the past and currently own a 2002 Montero Sport LS and recently acquired a beautiful black 03 Montero Limited with 166k miles. The car is really nice, I need to get new shocks on it in the near future. Otherwise it is really nice to drive.

Now please educate me on the 6g75 3.8L V6. I know everything about the old 3.0L and its leaks. Is the 3.8L engine more reliable/better compared to the 3.0? So far in the 500 miles, it hasn't used a drop of oil. But do these engine burn oil and leak a lot eventually or are they fixed up from its predecessors? Thanks

Old 02-09-2017, 10:54 AM

As far as I know..the 6G75 Mitsubishi updated the common issues that plagued the 72 and 74 motors. When we had a Endeavor...it didn't burn or leak any oil and we put 130k on it before our Endeavor was totalled in a accident. Just normal maintenance and scheduled oil changes..switched the synthetic oil around 90k. Mitsubishi did a marvelous job on the 75 IMO.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:01 PM

I agree, the engine feels very nice, I got the car for cheap because it needed 2 O2 sensors and they guy thought it needs a new CAT, but I got it fixed, and I got the oil changed with synthetic. The car runs pretty nicely and looks great too. These are rare so I do get people checking it out when I drive by or some even ask me what I paid for it and stuff like that. Thank god I got the latest 3.8L version which is fixed up, My Montero sport now needs new crankshaft and camshaft seals as it leaks oil when I park it. Its very smooth, now is it weird that the Montero Sport is quieter than the regular Montero?? The Montero is smooth and all, but the Montero Sport just feels smoother on road, quieter wind noise and nimble compared to the big one which is like 10k more than the Sport model.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:54 AM
DZD

Congrats on your purchase - I have a 2006 Montero Limited - last year offered in the US - we've had it in the family since new. The only thing I'll mention is that I do an oil change every 3000 miles and it does seem to burn a quart or so if you go much beyond that. According to the dealer this is normal but I question that. Other than that ours is running like a champ - we've got about 120k miles on it. Enjoy.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by DZD
Congrats on your purchase - I have a 2006 Montero Limited - last year offered in the US - we've had it in the family since new. The only thing I'll mention is that I do an oil change every 3000 miles and it does seem to burn a quart or so if you go much beyond that. According to the dealer this is normal but I question that. Other than that ours is running like a champ - we've got about 120k miles on it. Enjoy.
Hello, sorry for the late reply, these are some great cars! I have other nice luxury cars in the family but no one really notices them that much other than my friends or relatives, but since I have been driving this new Montero, I get people complimenting it and some go as far as walking to it when it is parked and look inside and around it lol... people seem to like these. Btw I used synthetic on it so 5k miles should be easy, but I have driven it 1100 miles since the oil change and I just checked the oil today and it went down like 0.1-0.2 quarts so just added a few drops and it shows full now, I guess that's pretty normal for something that has over 150k miles on it. Just got new shocks on it too. One problem I have with is that common shudder/vibration noise everyone has at 2000-2200 rpm. Do you know what that is??

Last edited by cdvyas20; 03-28-2017 at 02:51 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:54 PM
Default remove upper intake manifold secondary butterflies

Originally Posted by cdvyas20
Hello everyone, I have owned a 1996 Montero LS in the past and currently own a 2002 Montero Sport LS and recently acquired a beautiful black 03 Montero Limited with 166k miles. The car is really nice, I need to get new shocks on it in the near future. Otherwise it is really nice to drive.

Now please educate me on the 6g75 3.8L V6. I know everything about the old 3.0L and its leaks. Is the 3.8L engine more reliable/better compared to the 3.0? So far in the 500 miles, it hasn't used a drop of oil. But do these engine burn oil and leak a lot eventually or are they fixed up from its predecessors? Thanks
These all seem to fail and have tanked many a Montero before their time. You'll want to remove those butterflies before one or more fails and good chance will crash your motor. I've had two 2003s and learned this the hard way. Both had about 160,000 when I got them and both had multiple butterflies fail and ingest screws or pieces of molten metal. Did minor damage on mine but i was very lucky.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:57 PM
Default engine shudder possible cause

Originally Posted by cdvyas20
Hello, sorry for the late reply, these are some great cars! I have other nice luxury cars in the family but no one really notices them that much other than my friends or relatives, but since I have been driving this new Montero, I get people complimenting it and some go as far as walking to it when it is parked and look inside and around it lol... people seem to like these. Btw I used synthetic on it so 5k miles should be easy, but I have driven it 1100 miles since the oil change and I just checked the oil today and it went down like 0.1-0.2 quarts so just added a few drops and it shows full now, I guess that's pretty normal for something that has over 150k miles on it. Just got new shocks on it too. One problem I have with is that common shudder/vibration noise everyone has at 2000-2200 rpm. Do you know what that is??
In my first 2003 this started and many hours and stupid parts guessing I finally noticed the upper intake butterflies fail and make that noise to various degrees of shudder and racket. Remove them before they ruin your motor.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by wilde
These all seem to fail and have tanked many a Montero before their time. You'll want to remove those butterflies before one or more fails and good chance will crash your motor. I've had two 2003s and learned this the hard way. Both had about 160,000 when I got them and both had multiple butterflies fail and ingest screws or pieces of molten metal. Did minor damage on mine but i was very lucky.
Hello, please tell me what exactly you are talking about and how to remove it?? Btw the shudder is I think from the transmission mount underneath the car... But tell me more about the butterfly you are talking about and how to remove it...thanks

Old 03-30-2017, 05:17 PM
Default Transmission Shudder

My transmission shudder was cured with a filter and fluid change using Mitsubishi diamond original.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Juanchos
My transmission shudder was cured with a filter and fluid change using Mitsubishi diamond original.
Nice! But my fluid looks pretty clean but later I will look into getting it changed with genuine Mitsu fluid, and the weird thing about the shudder is that I can only hear it when I am driving or am in the front passenger seat, I can't hear it when I am sitting in the back and someone else is driving! Weird...

Quick Reply: 2003 Montero Limited