Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2003 Montero Limited Yellow Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Question 2003 Montero Limited Yellow Light

Ok, the yellow flashing light in the center of my drivetrain display is blinking....manual says to stop, restart engine....goes back to the two rear wheel greens....and 30 miles later....starts flashing yellow light in center again...just pulled over to re-start 5 times between Charlotte and RDU....what gives anyone??

Old 07-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Default Montero 03 limited

had same problem last year. replace switch for the 40.00 on the transfer case.if you need part # e-mail me,I will look on my invoice

Old 07-22-2010, 08:24 AM

If you could find that I would be greatful......good to hear its probably not something major?
Capt. Chuck Sharpe

Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Default Yell. Light flashes

Part# mr953767 mitsu dealership in nj,$40.00 part and 70.00 labor=110, but after 8 monts it happen again.i have montero limited 03

Old 07-24-2010, 10:10 PM

I just had one of my switches replaced 3 weeks ago and it's doing it again too! I used the service manual to find out where the wire leads to on the transfer ECU connector and discovered there was +12v coming FROM the switch even when it's disconnected! I'm not 100% sure, but since the switch only has 1 wire coming from it and doesn't intersect with another wire, how else would 12V be on the wire unless there's a short?
I've gotta take it back to the dealer. It'll cost me, but I just don't have the time for that. I HATE electrical problems.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:03 AM

your wire harness that go into the transmission needs to be cleaned, the contacts may be dirty, they need to be cleaned and resealed with the electrial grease that should solve your problem with the yellow light info from former mit mac

Old 09-08-2010, 06:26 PM

I am experiencing the same problem, I've taken my montero to the dealer and they said it was stuck in 4 wheel drive, so they free it up and re-greesed the parts.
I took it for a drive, swithing couple of times from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive to see if everything was working properly and after 32 km the light started flashing yellow again. I took it back and the tech discovered it was stuck in 4 wheel drive again and i wasn't shifting properly.
He free it up and he took me for a drive to show me how to switch form 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive. We drove for 27 km and the light started to flash again.( I guess he also didn't know to swith it properly), so back to the garage she went.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:31 PM

any updates from people who had this problem reoccuring? what was the ultimate problem and the fix so it never came back?

Old 09-09-2010, 04:18 PM

One local dealer quoted me $29 for the replacement switch....but upwards of $200 for the job.....the other dealer suggested the fluid be changed prior to going to that option.....I chose to change the fluid and filter....$169....and light flashing within 30 miles once back on highway....mine NEVER comes on driving in city...only after 30 miles or so on highway.....will now purchase the switch...part# MR953767 and take it back to service provider (not Mitsubishi dealer) who did fluid change.....I've driven lots of miles as traveling sales rep.....and there is an additonal warning light on dash for A/T Trans which never comes on.....so, hoping this switch hang up is more of an inconvenience and irritant than anything else.......will update once the switch has been replaced here on the forum.....good luck to all!!

Old 10-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Default Flashing yellow light

My montero is finally fixed. I had my transfer case re-timed, fluid replaced, mechanical parts re-greased and.......NOTHING...... the yellow light was still coming back. Finally the dealer listened to me and replaced free wheel sensor and the flashing light is gone for good. I spent lots of money on this problem so I suggest you folks listen to the good people
on this or other forums before you rush to your dealership and give your hard earned money away to them.

Quick Reply: 2003 Montero Limited Yellow Light