Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2004 Montero Complete Audio

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 09:30 AM
Default 2004 Montero Complete Audio

Hey Everyone, I thought I'd post up my findings in gutting out the entire audio system in my 2004 Montero Limited. Here's the parts list I chose to run with originally:
  • Sony XAV-68BT Double Din Head Unit
  • JL Audio C5075-CT Component Tweeters
  • JBL P662 6.5" Speakers
  • Alpine VDR-P75 5 Channel Amplifier
  • Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 8" Subwoofer

The climate controls were relocated to just above the ashtray and the Sony fills the center bezel near perfectly.

The JBL's are not only a killer speaker, they have two must haves for me: A db choice for their tweeter and mounting adaptors for our cars with double foam gasket material for a clean install.

So by now I had worked my way back to the amplifier/sub location. All paneling was removed and wasn't nearly as hard as I thought. Once the third row seat is removed and the second row tumbled forward, it was a breeze. The Alpine mounted right to the factory mounts with just two holes needed for the provided screws. Same for the Pioneer sub as it installed perfectly into the factory location with just new screw holes needed.

Now comes the somewhat tricky part: Wiring. I used the same Metra din plug harness provided for the Sony head unit at the amp. This reconverts the din plug back into RCA's for a clean install and less wiring runs. The Montero has very limited room under it's side carpets for extra wiring so this was a big help. I then picked up a factory service manual to sort out the wiring codes for the amplifier output. Here they are in detail:
  • Red/Blue: Left Tweeter (+)
  • Orange/Blue: Left Tweeter (-)
  • Blue/Red: Right Tweeter (+)
  • Green/Red: Right Tweeter (-)
  • Black/Red: Right Front Door (-)
  • White/Red: Right Front Door (-)
  • White/Blue: Left Front Door (+)
  • Black/Blue: Left Front Door (-)
  • Grey/Red: Right Rear Door (-)
  • Yellow/Red: Right Rear Door (+) **Pin number 9
  • Yellow/Blue: Left Rear Door (+)
  • Green/Blue: Left Rear Door (-)
  • Yellow/Red: Subwoofer (-) **Pin number 8
  • Grey/Red: Subwoofer (+)

What an amazing difference. The sound is crystal clear and now I have DVD audio/video, bluetooth audio/phone streaming, back up camera and the bass is quite strong. So strong as a matter of fact that it's rattling the heck out the rear plastics when certain music is played. I will be changing out the Pioneer for this shortly, mounted where the third row seat normally resides:
  • Alpine SBR-S8-4 Type R 8" Compact Subwoofer Enclosure
  • Alpine RUX-**** Bass Control **Mounted next to factory dimmer

Attached Thumbnails 2004 Montero Complete Audio-img_2708.jpg   2004 Montero Complete Audio-img_2707.jpg   2004 Montero Complete Audio-img_2709.jpg   2004 Montero Complete Audio-fullsizerender-7.jpg   2004 Montero Complete Audio-fullsizerender-5.jpg  

Last edited by Ironchef2014; 01-16-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:36 AM

More photos…..

Attached Thumbnails 2004 Montero Complete Audio-fullsizerender.jpg   2004 Montero Complete Audio-fullsizerender-3.jpg  
Old 01-16-2015, 09:37 AM

Hold for more pics…...

Old 01-17-2015, 07:34 AM

Very nice man! I just put in a new jvc double din in my 03, I was suprised at how easy it went in, I did however find out that my sub doesnt work now, im not sure if it didnt work before the install or not, I never payed attention. When you wired in your double din did you wire together the power antenna and amp wire from the metra harness to the remote wire of your aftermarket stereo harness? Thats what I did and I wonder if that is correct or if I wired it wrong and thats why my sub isnt working.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:11 PM

Great post! I look forward to updating my sound system also. So far I just installed a new Kenwood deck and left the speakers stock. Granted, I am in the same boat of not knowing if my sub doesn't work at all or just stopped after I swapped out the deck.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:06 PM

Great post man! Quick question, I am planning on changing the stock tweeters on my 2004 Montero (not sport), do they need to be 3/4"? What's the best size? Thanks!

Old 03-08-2015, 03:59 PM

well done and a thorough write up! Thanks

Old 03-09-2015, 06:07 AM

A 1" tweeter should fit easily!

Old 03-09-2015, 08:09 PM

Thanks man!

Old 03-11-2015, 07:30 AM

Hey man, im getting ready to trouble shoot my sub not working. Process of elimination, so I will start with the sub itself and wiring to it. My wiring is good then I will move to the amp which I have a new factory amp so if Igotta swap it will be plug and play.

Do you know how much depth the sub hole has?
I know the shallow mount subs will work. But im wondering if there is at least 5 inches depth so im not limited to a shallow mount sub.

Heres what im looking at.

Pyle PLPW8D 8-Inch 800 Watt Dual 4 Ohm Subwoofer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JV7F4W/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Vtdavb0NN8KSJ

I know I will have to wire it parallel to make it 2 ohm. Im just worried it wont fit.

Thanks man!

Quick Reply: 2004 Montero Complete Audio