Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2004 Montero Complete Audio

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Default Subwoofer

My sub was fuzzy so I had a local shop open up the back (did not want to tackle it) and they put in a Polk Audio db840 that was on the demo shelf. 8" with a 4" top mount depth.

I think deeper than that will not fit.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:14 PM

I checked out the specs on the pyle sub again and the depth is 3.7 so hopefully that will work. Now my question is do I need a speaker adapter to tap into the factory harness...I wasnt sure so I order this adapter for mitsu and toyotas.

Metra 72-9301 Speaker Connector for Select Toyota/Mitsubishi Vehicles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002BEUZS/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_whFavb1RMKYWZ

Anyone know if I will have to use this adapter...or if I ordered the wrong one?

Old 03-12-2015, 05:18 PM

If I remember correctly, there is maybe 4" of depth, that's it.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ironchef2014
Sweet thanks man. Do you remember if the factory plug for the is the same as the front and rear speakers?

Old 03-18-2015, 10:46 PM

Can you do a quick write up on getting to the rear woofer? It seems like a difficult one.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:24 AM

Replaced my factory sub yesterday. So I thought I would add this if anyone is wondering. You will need a speaker adapter Metra 72-9301 Speaker Connector for Select Toyota/Mitsubishi Vehicles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002BEUZS/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_nJ2dvb0WYK4Q1
If you are just swapping out the factory sub, theres the link for it.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ironchef2014
Hey IronChef, do you have any tips/ quick guide on removing the door panels ? How hard are they to remove? Thanks!

Old 10-26-2015, 10:33 PM

Two questions:

Can I use the existing wiring and swap out the Infiniti Amp for an aftermarket one? Or do I have to run all new wiring. (I already have an aftermarket deck and speakers installed)

Is the factory Infiniti amp powerful enough to support my new Kenwood deck, Kicker CS speakers and Polk DB840 sub? Or should I upgrade it to a more powerful amp? (The deck and Kicker speakers have been installed but haven't installed the sub yet)

Old 10-28-2015, 07:50 PM

I also want to know how to bypass the infinity amp. and install an aftermarket one. Hope the OP has the answer for us.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by MrInternational
Two questions:

Can I use the existing wiring and swap out the Infiniti Amp for an aftermarket one? Or do I have to run all new wiring. (I already have an aftermarket deck and speakers installed)

Is the factory Infiniti amp powerful enough to support my new Kenwood deck, Kicker CS speakers and Polk DB840 sub? Or should I upgrade it to a more powerful amp? (The deck and Kicker speakers have been installed but haven't installed the sub yet)
new stereos and decks have its own power/amp built in to power speakers. thats why they are advertised something like 50watt x 4, for 4 channels. so 4 speakers. 2 front 2 rear. thats why there are speaker wires coming out of the back of the deck, to power those speakers, and the power is from the deck. so this means the factory infiniti amp is no longer in play.

this is where it gets confusing with mitsubishi infinity premium audio systems from mid 90s to early 00s. they used the same system through their line of cars and im somewhat familiar with it.

it has been an ongoing to find out exactly how much power the stock infiniti amp puts out. as i told you above, your stereo KDC-X798 (i saw you list it on the other thread) puts out 50watt x 4, so each speaker will get 50 watts. mind you this is 50watt MAX. it doesnt actually put out that much probably. dont know the RMS rating. guess what, most aftermarket stereos put out this much. no one knows if the stock amp puts out more watts than an aftermarket deck's. read on however.

people who want a truly nice setup dont even use the built in amp in the deck because they get more powerful amps of course.

now if you get the MITAH adapter, this is the adapter that usually comes up when someone wants to easily do a plug and play installation on a mitsubishi car with the infinity premium audio system (meaning it comes with that infiniti amp). this adapter comes with one end being a proprietary connection and the other end RCA cables. the rca cables are meant to connect to the rca cables on your new stereo's output channels (which are also meant to be used if you get aftermarket amps), then the proprietary connector of the MITAH adapter connects to the mitsubishi wire that connects to the infiniti amp, then the install is pretty much done.

^^^^ if someone was to do this kind of install, you are still using the infinity stock amp to power your speakers. some will argue the output from the deck is much cleaner than the stock deck so it should still improve the sound, but power, nope, its the same cause you still used the stock amp. the advantages of doing this is its easy, and since most of the time the x-over for the tweeters in the car are built into the infiniti amp. so this means all speakers will work as it should.

what some other people do is not use the MITAH adapter wiring harness, and get the old fashion wiring harness with a bunch of speaker leads. the thing with a lot of mitsubishi setups, its like the system was wired in parallel. because not all of the cars had the option for the premium infiniti system, so some cars came with the speaker leads wired to the main harness as well so you could do the old fashion install. you buy that harness adapter that connects to the harness coming from behind the stock stereo. then you just match the colors of the speakers to the speaker wires in your new stereo.

^^^^^^^^^ if you do the install above. you will NOT be using the infiniti stock amp, and your new deck will be powering your speakers. this for sure you know you are using the stereo's power that you bought. some will argue this puts out more power thus sounding nicer BUT, have you notice a loss of sound depth, as of the tweeters or dash speakers were no longer working? if so, this might be normal. unless the dash speakers/tweeters are wired in with the main door speakers and with simply a bass blocker, there is a possiblity they will no longer work if you do this install because you bypassed the stock amp and the stock amp is where the xover is built in to send the signal to the tweeters. usually in this case you have to get a proper component speaker system which comes with a xover and wire it up, or wire up the current dash speakers/tweeters with the rest of the fronts and use a bass blocker.

to answer your first question, you don't have to run new wiring, IF you source the bundle of wires where they are all at, which is in the harness that connects to the stock amp, the stock amp in the montero is in the back driver side quarter rear last i recall, by the stock sub. if you put your new amps around the area, you can simply tap and or extend wires so you dont have to run new wires to all the speakers.

please dont even think of running the stock amp or consider it to power your stuff. you already went so far to get all the other equipment.

see this thread for more answers to questions that might come up.
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...montero-33421/