Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2004 Montero limited TPMS Flashing...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 11:52 AM
Default 2004 Montero limited TPMS Flashing...

Hello all,

My montero limted 2004 tpms is start flashing today. I checked the pressure of all 4 tires and they are all good.

Is possible that the TPMS sensor gone bad? Anyone know how to replace it? and what scan tool should I use for montero 2004 limtied?

Thanks

-N

Old 08-10-2015, 12:48 PM

Usually when that's flashing and the pressure is OK there is a problem with the system...

Either a sensor isn't reporting (dead battery or bad sensor) IIRC the batteries are rated for 10 years so if you've never changed it you may need to... I am not sure if they are serviceable or if you need to replace the whole unit inside the tire.

The only thing that can talk to them is the dealer tool or a high end dealer like scan tool. You can find a mechanic that has this equipment or go to your local dealer and have them check it.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:18 PM

Thank you so much for responding

how much does the dealer usually charge for the sensor? will they charge for just checking?

thanks again

Old 08-10-2015, 05:08 PM

Here is a TSB that explains everything about them.

http://www.mitsupartsworld.com/Endea...tsb1131001.pdf

The battery lasts 5-10 years and is non serviceable/replaceable.

The sensors could be anywhere from $30-100 each depending on your dealer and the exact part. You can call and ask.

I'm sure they will charge you something to check it, dealers rarely do any kind of work for free...

You can also call tire shops, give them your year/make/model and tell them your are having TPMS errors and they can tell you if they can scan it and/or program a new sensor for you. A tire shop will surely be cheaper than the dealer but you can always call around and get quotes before you decide where to go.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:36 PM

The TPMS consists of multiple sensors inside the tires. It is possible that one or all of them stopped "talking" to the computer in the vehicle. It doesn't mean the TPMS is bad (can be but not necessary). It is possible that they've just lost pairing with the computer. Go to a tire shop and have them re-pair the sensors and the computer. Most likely that will fix it. Most advanced shops will have the needed equipment since it is now mandated equipment.

On the side note - I think TPMS is the biggest waste of money, resources and time. I happen to have one on my work vehicle. It signals false problems half the time and any work on the tires is twice (if not more) as expensive as before. If I ever get a car that has TPMS for myself - I'm ripping out those sensors and pulling out the bulb on the dash

Old 08-10-2015, 10:10 PM

I got the ETACS cable for my Outlander so I can disable the sensors in the winter, though I leave it on in the summer. When the winter is creeping up as the air temp drops I get quite a few nuisance alerts from it.

If the sensors are missing on the OL it dings every 20 minutes and takes over the DIC with the warning about the TPMS being broken so it's horribly irritating.

On my OL when the sensors are transmitting if the code matches it will auto-relearn them.. I can't see why it would loose the codes or the pairing but I guess anything is possible.

A shop worth it's weight in salt should be able to scan it, find the codes and reprogram or replace as needed.

Since it's an '04 vintage and most likely they are the original sensors they would be 11ish years old which is 1 year past the best before date they have listed for that battery which I would say is the most likely cause, but the only way to know for sure is with a scanning.

Also that TSB states it will set a TPMS code for low battery, that could be what the code actually is and the system may still be working.

As an alternative solution you can get a roll of black electric tape at home depot for a buck...

Old 08-12-2015, 01:37 PM

I asked a Local goodyear store... they said will cost $150 for each sensor including labor and parts...will ask mitsu dealer later today and compare...

also its wired that the sensor light is off today... so I dont know if the dealer can found out what goes wrong.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:41 PM

It's possible it lost communication and re-established it somehow, or the battery voltage could be varying just enough to cause an error and then clear... The only real way to check it is with a TPMS capable scan tool.

If you find out all 4 are shot you may want to invest in the tape method :P

Old 08-12-2015, 04:44 PM

Speaking from personal experience - TPMS may go on and off throughout the day. I had times when in the morning all was good then later on while driving TPMS warning would come on (false alarm as all pressures were normal). Then there were days when the system acts out in the morning and later on, everything clicks in and all is fine. This was on a Chevy and it did say which specific wheel was faulty. Eventually you learn to recognize that if it was a specific wheel - you just ignored it and it will turn off again. I think we eventually replaced the sensor (to the tune of $80+). Very annoying considering that there was nothing wrong with the pressure in the tires. Unfortunately I do not believe Mitsu system specifies which wheel sensor is sending faulty signal.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:00 PM

That TSB I read said it throws a code for a specific wheel so you should be able to ID the sensor with a scan tool. Also I think he said it was flashing which means system fault not low pressure again according to the TSB I read.

Quick Reply: 2004 Montero limited TPMS Flashing...