Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2005 Montero Limited TPMS MIL

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Default 2005 Montero Limited TPMS MIL

Greetings, Fellow Montero Enthusiasts!

I have a 2005 Montero Limited with 70,000+ miles on it.

Last year, the TPMS MIL began flashing and I had it reset by an able mechanic. System was quiet and presumably happy until a period when I did not drive the vehicle for several weeks. Upon starting it, the lamp began flashing again. Said able mechanic has not been available to help me out and I have been looking for means by which to reset the system.

One fellow on the innerwebs instructed that certain pins from the ODB/CAN port could be shorted to the chassis to send a reset signal to the receiver/controller. I looked at his pinouts and they did not seem to match my port setup.

The other technique I was going to use was to open the center console where the controller is located and unplug it/plug it back in, though I am not sure if this will have any effect.

I am trying to avoid spending the $ for a dealer reset if this is going to be a persistent problem. The car will be 15 years next year and nothing lasts forever. My searches of the innerwebs at large yielded no Eureka! moment as to a non-dealer/expensive tpms resetter thingy, so I thought I would come to Montero land and see what insight you fine folks might have.

Thank you in advance for your constructive feedback!

Old 05-02-2019, 06:51 AM

I have this problem. The only thing I could find was that the receivers will tend to go out. Did you ever find a solution?

Old 05-07-2019, 11:09 PM

I actually hate the new TPMS on most vehicles. Too many false alarms and the fact that you are tied to the shops to do anything with them drives me up the wall. One other solution that is favored by the Click and Clack Brothers is black electrical tape... As long as you check your tire pressure and and confirm that it's OK you are in no danger of using this method.