Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2007 Montero Sport diesel - A/C belts keep breaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 03:31 PM
Default 2007 Montero Sport diesel - A/C belts keep breaking

Car: 2007 Montero Sport automatic (diesel)
Vin: JMY0RK9707J000639

Purchased in Costa Rica and in the last 5 years had problems with the A/C belts.. We are up in the mountains so it is cooler, when we head to warmer climate (beach) the belts fail more often then not .. The are tightened and in a short time the squealing starts tightened again and eventually they fail and snap off.

We were told everything from 'inherent problem with Mitsubishi' to 'poor quality of belts the stretch out'

Anyone else have this problem?

What can I do to fix this!..

(So far to try and fix this problem we had the pulleys cleaned, belts changed to all brands available here..)

Thanks
George

Old 07-02-2015, 10:09 PM

Tough situation. Belts usually stretch when they warm up. But I do not know if the "poor quality" belts are likely to stretch more or not. First thing I'd check is the alignment of the AC pulley and the crankshaft pulley. Remove all belts, so you have good access to the front of the engine. Get a straight edge or a good sturdy ruler. Place it on the outside of the AC pulley (flush with the edge, NOT inside of the V-grove) and see if it aligns with the crankshaft pulley. Repeat this from the crankshaft pulley side if possible and see what you may find. It is possible that AC pulley installed too far forward or backward or AC bracket may be bolted at a slight angle. Any misalignment of the pulleys will speed up belt failure.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:45 PM

Thank you.. I'll check the alignment and take it from there.
I just checked and I have Gates belts which I understand are the best. So obviously it not the belt quality.. Will post my findings!

Old 02-24-2019, 12:59 PM

Hello, in CR and same issue with our Montero. I know this post is old, but does anyone happen to have the belt part number by chance? We're having an issue finding the belt as the old belt broke and was lost during driving so they can't measure it. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 03-03-2019, 07:33 PM

Also check the bearing in the pulley. If it is loose or noisy, replace the entire pulley or get a new bearing pressed in. While you are there, pull the adjustment mechanism off, clean it and any slides, grease appropriately, and reassemble. Check your tensioner mounting bolts * are tight as well--they should be, but if they are loose, obviously the pulley will pull out of alignment when you place tension the belt.

* I have a gasoline 02 Montero Sport, so your vehicle will vary of course. On a Montero Sport, two of the three pulley tensioners mount onto another big mount that covers the timing belt. I.e. they tensioner mechanism can be removed and serviced.