Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

4g54, lay shafts and carbys...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Default 4g54, lay shafts and carbys...

it was either here or the DIY section...

if anyone has a late 80's, early 90s L200/montero/shogun/4G54b with early FBC mikunis: could you please post a pic of the vacuum hose connections to/ around the carby?

also, the dreaded SAS2 screw - the "factory preset" one... i don't think mine's factory preset anymore, is there anyone who can tell me how to sort that out?

and also, i need to get into the cover to replace the cam chain and balance chain. i was thinking of doing a balance shaft elimination, one of two ways:
1- remove both balance shafts as "normal elimination" and plug the galleries and have the forward chain driving only the oil pump.
2- remove upper balance shaft chain drive, but leave the shaft in the engine, continue running the lower shaft behind the oil pump - will this cause vibration more than normal, only running one shaft? is it even worth bothering with only one?

cheers in advance.
-ax

Old 06-07-2013, 03:11 PM

bump, anyone?

Old 08-29-2014, 03:04 PM
Default Both balance shaft elimination would the best solution.

Originally Posted by Akzle
it was either here or the DIY section...

if anyone has a late 80's, early 90s L200/montero/shogun/4G54b with early FBC mikunis: could you please post a pic of the vacuum hose connections to/ around the carby?

also, the dreaded SAS2 screw - the "factory preset" one... i don't think mine's factory preset anymore, is there anyone who can tell me how to sort that out?

and also, i need to get into the cover to replace the cam chain and balance chain. i was thinking of doing a balance shaft elimination, one of two ways:
1- remove both balance shafts as "normal elimination" and plug the galleries and have the forward chain driving only the oil pump.
2- remove upper balance shaft chain drive, but leave the shaft in the engine, continue running the lower shaft behind the oil pump - will this cause vibration more than normal, only running one shaft? is it even worth bothering with only one?

cheers in advance.
-ax
Hi there I'm new here, still don't know how things work around here. But hopefully I can give you some useful insights.
Unfortunately I replaced my factory MIKUNI carby with a Hitachi DGC 306 and getting higher mpg.

Couple of days back after rebuilding the 4G54 engine (changed pistons, rings, main bearings, cylinder head, valves, timing kits) of my 89 Pajero.

After running the engine for a bit there was a strange rattling noise from the center of the block as I opened up the front cover I noticed that the upper balance shaft was misplaced and was quite jiggly, so I removed the shaft and found out that the white bush bearing inside the block had broken and hence the rattling noise. Then took out the lower shaft connected to the oil pump but that was fine.

So I looked up on the internet and found on few forums that elimination of the shaft increases performance of the engines. I was a bit skeptic when I read it, but it was either remove the shaft or change the block (which is out of the question). Note that this is the traditional 4G54 engine and not the G54B which has blots/studs on the side of the block which allows you to access the shaft and the white bush bearing easily.

So I took the shafts to a nearby Leath and asked for their opinion and they were totally blank. I asked them to cut off the weight part of the shaft and seal the oil galley with molten bronze. I refitted both shaft (now modified) and started the engine. Shockingly there were no increased vibration, I was getting higher oil pressure and the performance increase to some extent.

According to Mitsubishi "silent shafts" also known as "weight cams" or "balance shafts" were installed to eliminate second order vibration (vibrating at twice the engine RPM) that cannot be eliminated no matter how well the internal components are balanced.

According to me removing the shafts didn't have any increased vibration or rattling noises. It only made the engine perform even better. Maybe my block will not last another 10 years but I'll be more than happy if it serves me for the next 5 years without having to open up the front cover once in every 5000 KM.

Cheers Myt!

Old 08-29-2014, 05:45 PM

a one year old thread, but yeah, hopefully helps the next person who finds it by searching.