Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

4x4 problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Default 4x4 problems!!!

hi peoples i'm new here, and i have a montero full size and a 2000 rs eclipse. Now on my montero my 4x4 is not locking in place and that i'm still running pretty fast when i'm on 4l. i hear it sounding like it's engaging but it doesn't lock the 2 front tires (lights on dashboard) just keeps blinking. so i'm pretty much stuck in 2wd for awhile. and i'd like to go off roading again well just to go up tothe snow again. any help will be greatly appriecated. thanks in advance

Donovan

Old 01-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Default RE: 4x4 problems!!!

Are you using the engage/disengage proceedure outlined in the owners manual?
With my gen I there's a specific way to engage/disengage 4WD with the auto hubs. I'd check that first to make sure you're engaging it correctly.

Have you lubed or in necessary rebuilt your auto hubs regularly?
If not, they may be sticking & not engaging.

You should not be running fast in 4L (no more than 25MPH IIRC). You can run faster in 4H (up to 60mph) and 2H.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:14 PM

yeah i've been doin it right ever since. but i guess cause i haven't used it for like 7-8 months, do you think it's stuck if so how do i unstick it? and about lubing...how and where do i do it? i'm so new at this and my owners man is not as specific as my eclipse one.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:12 PM

You need to disassemble the front hubs to remove the old lube and put fresh lube in. It's not a simple task and there are lots of parts so if you don't know what you're doing I recommend having a shop do it. You can probably remove the hubs yourself (carefully making sure it doesn't come apart after you remove it and then bring it to a shop to have it cleaned and relubed.

Also, I just re-read your post and you're saying when you're in 4L you can drive fast? That's not good. When you shift into 4L it's a mechanical linkage that does this not an electronic one that can easily fail. Also, even if your front wheel's don't engage due to the bad hubs, your rear will still run in 4L and you shouldn't be able to drive fast w/out really winding out your engine.

Can you confirm this?

Old 01-12-2007, 06:28 AM

yes thats correct when i'm in 4l i'm still drive as if i'm still in 2h. no matter what i do. do you think it's both the hubs and electrical?

Old 01-12-2007, 12:46 PM

Wait a second. What year Montero do you have? Only the Gen 1's have the complicated hubs. Do you know the difference between 4H and 4L?

Old 01-12-2007, 03:21 PM

ORIGINAL: donkeeh

yes thats correct when i'm in 4l i'm still drive as if i'm still in 2h. no matter what i do. do you think it's both the hubs and electrical?
Unfortunately that's not possible if the engine also runs at the normal rate as in 2H. 4L provides nearly a 2:1 gear reduction. That means your car goes 1/2 the speed it normally does in 2H for the same engine RPM and transmission gear (1, 2, D, etc.) so to go the same speed in 4L your engine is going to have to run 2x as fast as when in 2H.

I suspect you actually aren't in 4L even if your indicators show that they are. You probably need to bring your monty to a reputable 4x4 mechanic to have this looked into.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:25 AM

so i'm gonna have to take it to mitsu then huh. i took it once to a mechanic and he said that he fixed it but a month later it did it again.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:26 AM

if anything could you show me pictures of what you were talking about in your previous posts. that way i could see what you were talking about

Old 01-18-2007, 04:56 AM

ORIGINAL: donkeeh

if anything could you show me pictures of what you were talking about in your previous posts. that way i could see what you were talking about
Whom are you talking to? What picture are you hoping to see? Also don't think the dealer is the all knowing mechanic either. I've heard way too many horror stories re Mitsu mechanics/dealerships to blindly believe that any longer.

Quick Reply: 4x4 problems!!!