Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

4x4 problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 07:25 AM
Default RE: 4x4 problems!!!

okay so i live in san diego there's not that many 4x4 mechanics around here would you guys think that orw (off road wherehouse) might have a clue or even 4 wheel parts? oh and to answer my monty is a 2002 limited, and about the pictures i was talking to off roader.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:33 PM

I suspect you mean hub pictures/diagrams then? If so, I don't believe your hubs are the problem and they will not be like mine so the pictures/diagrams I have won't benefit you.. Since it drives the same in 4L as 2H leads me to believe it's your transfer case but I'm not sure how the Gen III's are controlled (mechanically linked or eletronic). I can almost guarantee that based on what you've told us, you are NOT in 4WD low.

Do you know if the local mitsu dealer is a good one? I'm in N. Cal so I don't know the ones in your area.

As for the 4x4 shops, most won't be good because almost NOBODY in the US takes montero's off road and that's the crowd they focus on. Additionally the montero has a fairly reliable and sturdy 4x4 system so they rarely break. Bear in mind these shops will typically hire kids fresh out of high school who don't necessarily have a alot of auto-mechanic knowledge yet. When I said 4x4 mechanic, I meant a small independent mechanic who owns his own garage/business and is either the sole mechanic or has 1-2 other mechanic's. Even then they might now know your Montero's system simply because its so uncommon for the 4x4 system to break.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:08 PM

OK, so you have a Gen III full size Montero. That helps a lot.

There are no "hubs" on that version. So there is nothing to fail there.

Why don't you start from the beginning?

There are four positions on your transfer cas selector. 2H, 4H, 4HLc, 4LLc.

Describe what happens when you shift into each position. Remember, when you want to shift into the 4Llc position, the vehicle must be stopped and the transmission in neutral.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Winshawn

OK, so you have a Gen III full size Montero. That helps a lot.

There are no "hubs" on that version. So there is nothing to fail there.

Why don't you start from the beginning?

There are four positions on your transfer cas selector. 2H, 4H, 4HLc, 4LLc.

Describe what happens when you shift into each position. Remember, when you want to shift into the 4Llc position, the vehicle must be stopped and the transmission in neutral.
okay here goes...when i'm in 2h it drives fine, when i'm in 4h its drives fine, but my front wheel lights are blinking, like there not engaging. when i'm in 4hlc (whatever that means) and 4llc same thing as i said b4. the front tires are not engaging the locker or center diff is blinking. and yes i do the propper procdure to get to 4x4. this really sucks i hope i explaind it to you guys well enough. and again thanks for your help people.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:31 AM

ORIGINAL: donkeeh

okay here goes...when i'm in 2h it drives fine, when i'm in 4h its drives fine, but my front wheel lights are blinking, like there not engaging. when i'm in 4hlc (whatever that means) and 4llc same thing as i said b4. the front tires are not engaging the locker or center diff is blinking. and yes i do the propper procdure to get to 4x4. this really sucks i hope i explaind it to you guys well enough. and again thanks for your help people.
Ok... that's what I thought you meant. I don't believe your xcase is going into 4wd, or it is but not 4 low (4LLC). IIRC LLC means it's in low range with a lock on the differential so the front and rear driveshafts spin at the same speed. w/out a lock, the driveshafts can spin at different speeds independently.

Because the xcase never engages, it doesn't engage the front hub locks either hence the blinking lights and ability to drive fast in 4LLC.

I'm not sure why its not engaging but I suggest you bring it either to a reputable dealer service center or a reputable 4x4 shop that knows the mitsu xcase system (in the US 99% of 4x4 shops wont)!

Old 01-19-2007, 04:33 PM

OK. It is broken! Just kidding. Anyway there are a series of switches on the transfer case that can fail. There are also switches on the front axle that tell if you are getting into 4WD. The transmission computer does not ever think you are getting to 4WD so it never tries to go to 4 Low. Your dealer has special tools to read the codes which will tell him what switches have failed. I think that only the dealer has the right tools to diagnose. I would take it to him.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:31 PM

I think the problem here is not following the engagement procedures... My old mans 06 F350 will do the same thing.. Once you select the 4low setting, if you dont follow the procedures, the 4low light will come on, on the dash and stay on without it actually being in 4low, or even in 4wheel drive mode at all.. See, the sensors and relays are waiting for you to stop, back up, drive forward, get out, do the hokey pokey, turn yourself around, and freakin hop on one foot before they are actually engaged. You need to either read your Manual, or ask nicely to someone on here with the same year truck as you and find out what you are doing wrong. When it engages into 4low, you should be able to audibly hear it. Much like your woman, if you arent hearing her, you arent doing it right. Back up, find out what step you are missing, and try again. Stuck hubs or not, the bottom line is this, That 4low setting engages a secondary output shaft at the end of the tranny, It doesnt have syncros, so when it engages you hear a small to moderate thunk... Whether the fronts engage or not doesnt matter here. When you put it in 4low, you will hear it.