Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

'94 Montero, White Smoke AFTER Head Gasket Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:14 PM
Unhappy '94 Montero, White Smoke AFTER Head Gasket Change

First off, this is a great community.

Second, I really could use any advice anyone has out there. I just finished a two month long process of changing a head gasket on my 94 Montero in my spare time. I haven't run the car much, few minutes here and there, just testing it out. Only drove it about 100 ft.

My question is how long should white smoke be coming out of my tailpipe? And should I let the car sit and idle for a while to burn it off? Just kind of at a loss. If it isn't the head gasket, (and all the other gaskets I replaced along the way) way else could cause the white smoke? I read something about a PCV valve. Possibility?

Any help comes with great appreciation...

Thanks Mitsubishi Community

Old 05-27-2010, 12:05 AM

you should take the vehicle out for a good test drive, a few miles if possible. if there is still white smoke comming out of exhaust that is coolant burning. did you have your head pressure checked when you took it off?? if not you should have. aluminum head can crack especially if the engine was overheated. possibly head damage or head bolts not torqued properly. head bolts have to be torqued to a certain spec, also all bolts have to be tightened in a specific order or the gasket wont seat properly and let coolant and or oil get into combustion chamber and will smoke. good luck