Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

95 Montero with leaking sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Default 95 Montero with leaking sunroof

I've had my 95 Montero since college (about 3 years) and the sunroof has always leaked. Now that I'm getting ready to sell it I want to fix the leak. However, try as I might, I can't figure out where the leak is coming from. The backend of the sunroof glass was not touching the rubber seal which I though was the cause. I took drastic measures and put silicone around the entire edges of the glass sealing the rubber seal and the glass together. However, my sunroof STILL leaks. The leak is coming through the front middle of the sunroof, where the gear is that the motor connects to, and turns to open the sunroof.

Any ideas on where the leak could be coming from? I do have a bike rack but the bolts seem too tight to let water in. I thought of putting silicone over the bolts and seeing if that fixes the problem.

ps- I am not sure if this sunroof is an after-factory install or if it is original. I think it might be after factory.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:40 PM

alright the same thing used to happen to me. I figured out that where i used to park my 95 montero it was on a slant so whenever it rained a small puddle would form at the back of the sunroof. im guessing the water would slowly leak in. HAHHA i dont no if this helps at all but that was my problem.

and p.s. why would you sell ur montero...there so badass

Old 03-30-2009, 06:52 AM

I'll need to pour some water around and see what happens. It leaks if it's on a slant or on level ground. I'm selling it because I need better gas mileage for road trips.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:15 PM

Not sure about the Montero but on the Montero Sport factory moonroof, there are drain holes in each corner of the channel under the glass. The "seal" around the sunroof is not meant to seal completely. It's just supposed to minimize water intrusion and what water does come through is supposed to drain through these drain tubes.

A couple of the tubes in my Montero Sport got clogged causing water to back up in the channel and flow over the lip into the car. Clearing the drain holes/tubes out fixed the problem. I went to the hardware store and got a spool of heavy gauge weed whacker line and used that to clear the tubes. It's rigid enough to shove down the drain hole but flexible enough to contour itself to the shape of each tube.

See if you can see a small hole in each corner of the channel. If so, try clearing them out. I had to remove the moonroof glass to get to the rear ones on my car. Only takes a torx bit and a couple minutes. Good luck.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:28 PM

You know, I looked for drainage ducts and can't find any unless they are hidden under the gears and stuff. I'm thinking the sunroof isn't original. Here's two pics of the sunroof. Maybe you can tell me if these are factory install or not.

thanks.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:49 PM

yea my 95 montero sunroof looks nothing like that...looks like an after market. Your montero isnt the sport model is it.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:18 PM

No, it's LS.

I'm 99% certain mine is after market which is then no surprise it leaks. :/ It's too bad that I bought a crappy Montero.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:03 AM

That's wierd, I had a problem pretty similar to yours and silicone fixed it for me.