Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Engine Revs High and Shifts Late When Cold Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Default Engine Revs High and Shifts Late When Cold Start

For quite some time, whenever my Montero (1996 LS) is started cold, it seems to shift too late. At least that is the description I believe I am looking for. Example: I will get in the car to drive my daughter to school in the morning and will be driving about 35 MPH but the car will stay in 1st gear the entire time and sound like it's revving or racing or whatever and be well above 3 (RPMs I think?) and then finally shift to 2nd when I'm almost all the way to her school -- about 6 blocks away. It only acts this way when it is cold. I'm not flooring the gas or anything.

I found a few articles about other cars doing this and the suggestions related to vacuum hoses. Does that sound like a possibility? If yes, are those easily accessible? Thanks for your help.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Banned

That is normal.

Essentially the car will not use over drive until everything is warmed up. The transmission control unit is programmed to utilize only the three gears it has available to it at that time. When everything is warmed up, it should switch over and engage overdrive.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:07 PM

I was wondering, what is the weather like out when you experience this problem? How cold does it get overnight and how long do you warm up the engine before setting out?

Old 03-26-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sebba
That is normal.

Essentially the car will not use over drive until everything is warmed up.
Okay, thank you. That makes sense. Should I turn off overdrive when the car is cold? I just don't want to hurt my vehicle. I suppose I should just drag my **** out of bed a little earlier so I can warm my car up before I drive it.

Mothman -- I like in a Salt Lake City, Utah suburb right at the base of the canyons. It does get quite cold here but not usually the bone chilling midwest style of cold.

Thank you both for your feedback.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Banned

It doesn't hurt the car to drive it like that. Turning overdrive off will just keep you out of 4th gear all the time.

You don't even have to let it warm up unless it bothers you so much that you can't drive it lol.