Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

97 Montero Sport 3.0 rough idle/stalls

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Default 97 Montero Sport 3.0 rough idle/stalls

Hi all. We just got a 97 Montero Sport that had charging issues. It turned out to be the 100A fuse link under the hood was blown. Now that they are solved it will run geat for a few minutes, then starts running rough and stalling out once it warms up a little. We cannot get any codes since the battery has been reset. The new fuse has not blown. I don't know if these issues could be related, but when the alternator was not charging it would run great until the battery died, no idle problems. Any ideas on where to start? Thanks!

Old 02-26-2012, 01:09 AM

check the iac motor

Old 03-01-2012, 12:15 PM

So you disconnected the alternator to run the vehicle directly off the battery and it worked fine then?

I hope you didn't run the battery all the way down, because now that battery will be toast, it will never be fully charged ever again and will not hold a charge well either. Besides the point though are there any other sounds associated with the rough idle and dieing? (i.e. loud air sounds, clicking, tapping, grinding, etc...)

As mxmikie has said, check the IAC, as a common problem with montero sports when resetting/disconnecting the battery is that the IAC will go back to its stock or default position and the gunk that has built up there over the years will prevent it form opening again to control the idle of the engine, thus killing the engine almost every time.

simple fix, take it out and clean with brake parts cleaner, or degreaser re-install.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:48 AM

Thank you! Yes, we did get another battery. We have also disconnected the Mass Airflow and it runs fine...but that sends signals to other things so it may not be the problem.
Can you help me locate the IAC and I will try that. We ordered a book but it's not here yet. I know what it should look like, just not sure where to find it!
Thanks again!

Old 03-02-2012, 06:51 AM

I haven't noticed any other sounds with the rough idle.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:24 PM

Update - We have cleaned the MAF and the IAC and the problem still exists. Have checked the IAT and the ohms are correct. I just noticed a couple threads where folks have changed the MAF and had no result and would hate to spend $200 and not fix the problem.
We thought the charge problem was the alternator. So we installed a new one and went on our way. When the vehicle quit a day later, we discovered the fuse link. That is how the battery got drained, not intentional.
I am just wondering since the problem started when the charge system was repaired, if it has to be "flashed" at a dealer or anything. Thanks for the response!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:27 AM

Did you clean the throttle plate and throttle body while you were in there? If not, do it. See the first FAQ here:

Montero Sport Online Forum - F A Q- Updated 3/12/05

Old 03-09-2012, 09:08 PM

After many hours of research online we found someone must have reversed the polarity when jumpstarting, which is how the 100a fuse gets blown. Apparently this also fries the fuel consumption module in the kick panel on the passengers side. Problem solved!

Old 06-19-2014, 08:16 PM
Default Fuel consumption module

Hello, I have just purchased a 97 Montero LS with the same issue of rough idle clicking noise and stalling. I checked all connections battery alternator and it seems like everything is 100% I got the car with a new battery and a newly replaced 100 a fuse. It makes sense that at some point the polarity was reversed before the new battery was installed. I am wondering if I need to replace this fuel control module as well. Where exactly is it? and how did you get to it? I am pretty sure that my Montero must have it too...