Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

99 Montero Sport Transmission Slip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Default 99 Montero Sport Transmission Slip?

I have a 99 Montero, V6, 3.0L, 2WD with 125K miles. I recently had the trans fluid changed. Now the truck jerks and takes time to swap from reverse to drive to neutral and such. Has anyone had this problem? I was just thinking of buying some lucas trans fix (http://www.amazon.com/Lucas-10009-Tr...pr_product_top) to see if this would work. Anyone have any thoughts? All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Aaron

Old 11-02-2010, 01:14 AM

Was the tranny filter changed?

Old 11-02-2010, 01:15 PM

It sounds like it is starving for fluid. It may just be that you are low on fluid - check it following the procedures in the owner's manual (fully warmed up and in neutral I believe). Be sure it is not under filled or over filled - both are bad. It may also be a dirty filter.

I don't know what the symptoms are for using the wrong fluid - probably depends on the fluid used. I do know that incorrect fluid can be very bad for a transmission.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:26 PM

Tranny filter was not changed and I believe the procedures (fully warm up and in neutral) might not have been followed. I havnt started her back up again. I just wanted to get all my thougths together before thinking of a plan of action.

I do not believe it is under filled or over filled as I asked autozone guys both HOW MUCH TO FILL and WHAT KIND TO FILL.

What I find wierd is the 2.1 quarts that autozone guys game me seemed a little low. I believe what came out was more then 2.1 quarts.

Can anyone confirm the 2.1 quarts? again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:36 PM

I have a 2000 Montero Sport and changed my fluid and filter a few weeks ago. I measured the amount that came out and I believe it was just over 5 quarts. It was over 4 quarts for sure. I shop a lot at Autozone and like it - but the employees are not trained mechanics.

If I were you, I would at least pull the drain plug and drain out the ATF and replace it with the recommended ATF - Mitsubishi Diamond SP III. You can't go wrong with this ATF. With an emptied pan you should add about 4 quarts and take it on a drive. If it won't go into gear, your fluid is way low and you should add about another quart. The pan shouldn't hold much more than 5 quarts though. Then when warmed up check the level and adjust accordingly.

If you are mechanically inclined, I would pull the pan and replace the filter. I had to order mine as Autozone doesn't carry it. Mine takes the plastic cartridge type filter and not the screen. The pan gasket was not available anywhere, so I had to make one out of a gasket sheet that I got from Autozone.

Last edited by MitJsus; 11-03-2010 at 03:46 PM.